Which Way Lube for the Lathe?

old toolmaker

Registered
Registered
I have been using regular motor oil as a way lube on my Mini Lathe. I am wanting to purchase some way oil for my Mini Lathe such as Vactra #2, but shipping is as much or more than the product itself. I don't want to spend $25.00 for a quart of Vactra #2. I want to be able to find a local alternative such as at an auto parts store. What are you using for way lube on your machines?

Dick

Go see a local oil and fuel jobber. They should be able to order what you want. I'm using Exxon Waylube, I believe it's called. For the price, I just bought a five gallon bucket. I use the way oil on my shaper ways and cross-slide vise as well.

What is the advantage of way oil over motor oil or non-detergent motor oil?

Sorry for the newb question.

I wonder how well chain bar oil would work? its made to stick to a chaing that's doing 10 grand without it flying off??

Way oil act against stick-slip too....
But way oil hold more swarf on ways too. You need be more carefull with cleaning.

if you have bought from Enco in the past, MSC gives you free shipping on orders over $50. 5 gallon pails of Vactra way oil are almost always on sale in sale flyer, they ship UPS, price is about $100. Sell it to your buddies or have lifetime supply. Bar oil is not way oil, try using it on a cold day in a lathe with Bijur pump, doesn't work for poo. Vactra #2 works very well in a 70 degree shop and also works in a cold 45 degree shop on my lathes and mills, its what I have used for years.

if you have bought from Enco in the past, MSC gives you free shipping on orders over $50. 5 gallon pails of Vactra way oil are almost always on sale in sale flyer, they ship UPS, price is about $100. Sell it to your buddies or have lifetime supply. Bar oil is not way oil, try using it on a cold day in a lathe with Bijur pump, doesn't work for poo. Vactra #2 works very well in a 70 degree shop and also works in a cold 45 degree shop on my lathes and mills, its what I have used for years.

Whatever you do, don't use bar oil. There are basically two kinds; one is vegetable oil based the other is low-grade, high-sulfur oil. I use the sulfur kind as a cheap alternative to cutting oil. Look at the MSDS and it shows many ingredients containing the term "sulfurized distillates". I can smell the sulfur in that stuff from across the shop. It's great cutting oil -which is terrible for your ways. High sulfur oil softens metal and it will permanently stain ways.

FYI: My favorite way oil is Vactra 4 and I buy it in 5 gallon pails. It's fine in the hot months. I cut it with a small amount of thinner oil in the cold months.

Ray

Back