Which Import QCTP Holders to Buy?

ChandlerJPerry

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
My 12x36 asian lathe was blessed enough to come with an actual Aloris BXA tool post, however there were no holders to match. I've heard that the import holders are generally pretty good quality, but is there a favorite amongst the many brands available these days? I am also wondering if there is any benefit to picking BXA holders that can hold a 3/4" tool as opposed to the standard 5/8"? I would love Aloris or Dorian but frankly can't afford them.

Last edited:
I've tried the Shars brand holders, a couple of the no-name brand that Shars also sells, one Accusize holder and a number of the Precision Matthews holders. All seemed to serve their purpose. One of the ones from Shars had a poor finish on the rest/shelf that the tool gets clamped down onto, but was an easy fix with a light pass on the mill to clean it up. I do not recall if that was the no-name or the Shars branded unit, but it did come from Shars. It was one of the 250-102 styles, with the V-groove along the bottom rest.

I would probably only buy the Accusize again if I needed them in a hurry via Amazon - no appreciable difference and a few $ more than the PM or Shars units as I recall.

PM is often out of stock on theirs, but seem to have the best finishes of these IMO, with Accusize being a tie or close 2nd. Buy a box of set screws from McMaster - the offshore ones all could use better hardware.

Those with more capability and experience would probably find flaws, but they all work fine for what I do.

Keeping in mind you are NOT going to get Dorian/Aloris quality, finish or thickness for 1/3 the cost. I have a bunch of Dorian BXA tool holders and a batch of 10 Accusize #1 and #2. The Dorians dwarf them in size, thickness. The Accusize hardware is inferior. I used the Accusize holders for my smaller tools and the Dorians for the bruiser .750 shank stuff. I'm okay with the Accusize for the smaller shank tools which have inserts for cutting aluminum and plastic, they will be fine for that.

+1 on Accusize. Have 10 or so. Changed hardware also, based on recommendations, not that I had issues. Got a bunch of Dorian tool holders in an auction recently, but haven’t used them enough to have a feel for a difference. Probably ought to swap my usual turning tools ito the Dorians just for fun.

Back