What's the right size vise for a 12" Sherline 5400 mill with 15" column and head extension block?

Model-99

Registered
Registered
I am configuring a Sherline 12" Deluxe 5400 Mill with ER16 headstock, 15" extended column and headstock extender. I don't think the 2" jaw opening on the Sherline vise is enough. The 4" Kurt style are as long as the mill base and weigh almost as much as the mill. What is the right size vise for the Sherline 12" mill?

Screen Shot 2024-10-19 at 12.55.55 PM.jpg

I am configuring a Sherline 12" Deluxe 5400 Mill with ER16 headstock, 15" extended column and headstock extender. I don't think the 2" jaw opening on the Sherline vise is enough. The 4" Kurt style are as long as the mill base and weigh almost as much as the mill. What is the right size vise for the Sherline 12" mill?

View attachment 506366
This is my (seldom used) Micro-Mark MicroLux Micro-Mill which is a clone of the Sherline, having a 2-3/4” x 13” table:

IMG_8379_Radiant_Photo.jpeg
The vise (mounted on a swivel base) is the 2” vise that Sherline specifies for these mills:

You could probably get away with using a 3” screwless vise, but even that would be a stretch (plus a lot of weight when compared with the Sherline vise).

I have a Sherline 5400 with extended column and a Clausing 8520 so I've got vises from 1" to 5".

Anything bigger than the 2" screwless like Sherline sells is going to be difficult. I have a 3" screwless vise that might work, but it looks huge on the Sherline so would be a real push.

Wilton makes some nice 2" milling vises.

If you need a vise larger than 2", you might consider the Sherline MB vise. More expensive but can hold much larger pieces.

This is my (seldom used) Micro-Mark MicroLux Micro-Mill which is a clone of the Sherline, having a 2-3/4” x 13” table:

View attachment 506385
The vise (mounted on a swivel base) is the 2” vise that Sherline specifies for these mills:
Two questions @ChazzC:
1) Do you use the swivel capability much? If so, for what?
2) I notice your mill is on a riser, is that for handwheel clearance, gaining table space or just to bring it to working height?

Wilton makes some nice 2" milling vises.

If you need a vise larger than 2", you might consider the Sherline MB vise. More expensive but can hold much larger pieces.
Sorry for the noob question but it seems like the screwless vise and MB vise clamping pressure is only what your hands do by squeezing. Is there something that cinches it up tight a little or what?

Sorry for the noob question but it seems like the screwless vise and MB vise clamping pressure is only what your hands do by squeezing. Is there something that cinches it up tight a little or what?
Despite the name, the "screw less" vise uses a machine screw to tighten. I have a 3" toolmakers vise, also known as a screw less vise. In my case, I replaced the screw with a stud and nut. A tee nut and pin lock into slots milled into the base of the vise. When you loosen the screw you can adjust which slot the horizontal pin locks into. Toolmakers vises are quite rigid and hold very well, but are slightly less quick than "normal vises". They are a good thing to have in your shop.

Two questions @ChazzC:
1) Do you use the swivel capability much? If so, for what?
Never used it, but since it uses up minimal height I would probably get it again as it does add flexibility. Keep in mind the last time I used this mill was about 8 years ago so not using the swivel feature doesn't mean too much.

2) I notice your mill is on a riser, is that for handwheel clearance, gaining table space or just to bring it to working height?
I built the riser box to give me a wider base (that I could easily clamp to my work bench) and to save my back - the table is too low unless you're going to use it sitting down.

On my Sherline 5400 mill, I usually have a 2" Wilton mill vise 11708 mounted to a Sherline mill tooling plate 3560. The vise has a swivel base. I only remember using the swivel base to true the vise jaws to the mill x-axis.
Here is a link to the Wilton 11708 vise:
https://www.flexibleassembly.com/Wilton-11708-Super-Precision-Milling-Vise

I also have a Sherline mill vise, which I purchased to use on the Sherline tilting angle table 3750. I didn't find a nonSherline 2" vise that fits the tilting table in both x and y axis; every vise that I saw was too long.

If I had to do over again, perhaps I would buy a Wilton 2" 2-axis angular milling vise 11703 instead of the Wilton 11708 and Sheline tilting angle table and Sherline mill vise. I expect that 2-axis milling vise would be more rigid.
https://www.machinetoolproducts.com/wilton-super-precision-2-axis-angular-milling-vises-swivel-base

ps: Wilton also makes a 3-axis 2-inch mill vise.
https://wiltontools.com/11700
It can tilt in two dimensions and swivel on its base.
Being able to tilt in two dimensions makes setting a compoud angle (an angle rotated around x-axis plus an angle rotated around the y-axis) easy.
A compound angle can also be obtained using the tilt in one dimension and the swivel base of a 2-axis vise, but it requires math (and mental gymnastics).
I have milled at compound angles to make tangential tool holders for my Sherline lathe.

Back