What to do with this?

ChrisBoon

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi All. I have recently come in possession of a "not sure what to call it" melting pot? It is made of 8mm steel and about 30cm wide. It is heavy. I struggle to lift it.
It is lined with some sort of fire tile and has a hole in the bottom. No other insulation. The "crucible" is large, quite a few gallons. Is it worth the trouble trying to make something out of it? I am planning to melt aluminum in the near future, but this thing looks as if it will never heat up. Any ideas will be welcome.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 612ar9ek.png
    612ar9ek.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 8necenwm.png
    8necenwm.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 13
  • ajq13hci.png
    ajq13hci.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 13
  • e8o57265.png
    e8o57265.png
    253 KB · Views: 11
  • 7okitbk1.png
    7okitbk1.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 11
  • l1yp575c.png
    l1yp575c.png
    256.2 KB · Views: 16
I’d give it a go trying to melt aluminium. There are good, detailed videos on YouTube where people convert old pottery kilns into metal melting furnaces.

Last edited:
Foundry with crucible.
Looks like integrated lift/pour shank.

If the crucible is steel/iron and is rusty, then I strongly recommend you have it sandblasted prior to adding aluminum.
Check out Thermite Reaction somewhere on the net. Had an explosion once. No serious injuries. Fortunately....!

Casting is huge fun. But lots to LEARN prior to heating her up.
Safety is critical. Never wrestle with 1200-1500 degree aluminum. You will always lose.

Not sure where you are located, But if you want to wander to Northern Minnesota we can make patterns, discuss petro bond and ramming, and do a pour together using my equipment.

Daryl
MN

Foundry with crucible.
Looks like integrated lift/pour shank.

If the crucible is steel/iron and is rusty, then I strongly recommend you have it sandblasted prior to adding aluminum.
Check out Thermite Reaction somewhere on the net. Had an explosion once. No serious injuries. Fortunately....!

Casting is huge fun. But lots to LEARN prior to heating her up.
Safety is critical. Never wrestle with 1200-1500 degree aluminum. You will always lose.

Not sure where you are located, But if you want to wander to Northern Minnesota we can make patterns, discuss petro bond and ramming, and do a pour together using my equipment.

Daryl
MN
Hi Daryl. Thanks for the offer but I am in South africa/

Well that'd be interesting!
But that is definitely a distance.
I spent a month in Madagascar, so I have an appreciation for the travel.
Daryl
MN

Back