[Newbie] What size tooling should I be buying for my AXA QCTP for a newly acquired South Bend 9A?

JustBen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,
What size tooling should I be buying for my AXA QCTP for a newly acquired South Bend 9A? First lathe and learning a lot.

My South Bend 9A came with an Aloris AXA tool post. I have a few holders including an AXA 7 (parting tool), AXA 2 (holder with groove), AXA 1.
The AXA 1 documentation shows a tool bit range of : 3/16" - 1/2"
AXA 2 shows a max size of 1/2".
The one insert holder I have is labeled "INS. NP-51" and I only have one insert, so hopping on with a new style isn't a concern.

I want to get an indexable tool bit set and am trying to figure out what size I should buy. Is 3/8 the sweet spot? Am I approaching this the right way?

Also, when looking at QCTP tool holders, is "USA Style" just an Aloris style? Are there multiple competing styles?

Something like this: https://accusizetools.com/en-us/col...-carbide-turning-tools?variant=35246715142298
1727286421157.png

3/8" is probably a good choice. rigid but not tall enough to bump into the travel limits of the holder.

I use AXA size tools holders and 3/8" tools on my SB 10K with no issues. Could probably go to 1/2" but have not seen a reason too.

These are the holders I use on my SB9.
The tools are 5/8” & I use TT321-322 & 323 inserts.
Carbide inserts are kinda overkill for the small SB, but work.
I mostly use HSS from 1/4” to 1/2”.

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpeg
    IMG_1435.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 12
Save yourself some money and get a set off eBay. They are the same Chinese made tools without the Accu-size name & box.

I have literally purchase 100's of these tools. They are all good quality, well made with hardened shanks.

I haven't seen "USA Style", but Aloris style holders are the only QCTP holders I've seen that are readily available. The only others are Multi-fix copies. The import AXA holders are numbered 250-1xx.

I use 1/2'' tooling on my 9'' SB and have never wished they were smaller.

I figured might as well get the stiffest tooling.

Hello,
What size tooling should I be buying for my AXA QCTP for a newly acquired South Bend 9A? First lathe and learning a lot.

There's no rule about what size tooling is gonna be your favorite. You've got room. And symetry doesn't count. They need not all be the same. But you've gotta start somewhere...

Bigger tooling (oversized tooling) can and does have some benefits. But there are also some drawbacks.
Smaller tooling (undersized tooling) can and does have some benefits. But there are also some drawbacks.
"Right size" tooling can and does have some benefits. But there can also be some drawbacks.

I want to get an indexable tool bit set and am trying to figure out what size I should buy. Is 3/8 the sweet spot? Am I approaching this the right way?

I think you're on the right track. While you could (and might well) want others for this or that, 3/8 is the first size that is equipped to hold back everything that a 9A can give it. It's a very good "jumping off" point.

"USA Style" just an Aloris style?

Can't help you there. I use mostly HSS cutters, and made my own tool post for the insert tooling
Something like this:
I have (almost) that kit, it's wearing an "Oscarbide" badge, Same ( or similar?) from Amazon.
I have no way to tell if that is the "same" kit, or if they're both just copies of some third kit, or what's going on there. Off shore tooling is funny that way, but I "suspect" there's enough difference in them that the're not the "exact" same. At that price point (still "cheap", but just expensive enough to be out of the toilet), I'm not sure that there's "much" difference between different tools.
The kit I have is good, (not great, not bad, it's just good) so I would "assume" that it would apply to the kit you linked to. I can say for sure that the assortment, the choice of tools, it's a good selection for most all general work. You can make many things with that, and doing so is the only way to find out what "else" you need.
I think you're on the right track. You will need more stuff, probably sooner than later (a boring bar and a thread boring bar come to mind right off) but that's already turned into so many choices that you're out of the "kit" territory, to where you need to buy what you need, and it doesn't lend it's self to kit form.
If that kit fits your budget, I'd say go for it. My kit, I can't find a model number, but the AISN is B07MDC5LMX. Paste that in the Amazon search bar. My opinion- The nickel finish is good, functional, does what it should, marks under the screws just like a black finish, zero compromise, EXCEPT.... It feels "cheap" in my hands. If I did it again, I'd probably give an extra couple of bucks to NOT have that nickle finish.

Thank you very much for the replies everyone. This is very helpful. I will look at the ebay and Amazon sets and compare the tools and insert types.

I have some HSS blanks as well as what appears to be brazed carbide that came with the lathe.

Back