What causes this?

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
What causes tools to become magnetized? Sometimes itis help full and sometimes it is not helpful. I do have a rotary de-mag that I made from the kid that Doug sells and it works fine but I am just curious how tools actually become magnatized like the ends of drill bits the calipers i use the screwdrivers that were not bougt that way etc. So I am interested in the way they get that way and not the reason.

I had a job one time teaching tool and die makers in Mexico how to maintain the dies. We were using Swiss made stainless spring steel as the sheet metal. the punches would become magnetized therefore causing them to "Pull slugs" resulting in broken punches.

What causes tools to become magnetized? Sometimes itis help full and sometimes it is not helpful. I do have a rotary de-mag that I made from the kid that Doug sells and it works fine but I am just curious how tools actually become magnatized like the ends of drill bits the calipers i use the screwdrivers that were not bougt that way etc. So I am interested in the way they get that way and not the reason.

I had a job one time teaching tool and die makers in Mexico how to maintain the dies. We were using Swiss made stainless spring steel as the sheet metal. the punches would become magnetized therefore causing them to "Pull slugs" resulting in broken punches.
Impacts and exposure to magnets. I have problems with this issue and plan on buying a degaussing pad

Impacts and exposure to magnets. I have problems with this issue and plan on buying a degaussing pad
The rotary one that I made works really good. Mr. Pete had a video on how to make one out of an old electric motor stator. I like the rotary because I can chuck it in a drill or the lathe or mill and demag what I need to demag. Its just one of those mystery's that intrigue me like why doesn't all the dirt go back in the hole it came out of. LOL. I just covered up a water pipe the plumbers repaired months ago because I know one night the temps will fall like a crack whore's drawers.

Could you please share a link to that video if its handy?

Doug's selling kids again?

Metal passing metal in the same pattern and direction is all that's needed. It aligns molecules or some such and we learned how to make a compass in Stockade (Church boy scouts) by doing this. I remember this clearly as one parent pulled their kid out of the group and left the church claiming we were practicing witchcraft.

I had chips sticking to my calipers today and it was driving me nuts until I realized it was the chips, not the calipers that were magnetized.

Doug's selling kids again?

Metal passing metal in the same pattern and direction is all that's needed. It aligns molecules or some such and we learned how to make a compass in Stockade (Church boy scouts) by doing this. I remember this clearly as one parent pulled their kid out of the group and left the church claiming we were practicing witchcraft.

I had chips sticking to my calipers today and it was driving me nuts until I realized it was the chips, not the calipers that were magnetized.
Never did consider the chips were magnetized even though I see it all the time. I will remember this. I didn't know Doug ever quit selling kits. I bought mine from him a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure exactly what the circumstances are when some tools get magnetized, but it seems to happen from time to time. Years ago, I purchased an LW demagnetizer to deal with the situation. When I find a tool gets magnetized, I set it off to the side. When I accumulate enough, or need one that has been magnetized I run them over the demagnetizer a few times.

Here's a brochure with the demagnetizer I have in the shop. Mine is the J1.

Attachments

• Product Brochure.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
That's why I never buy tools made in Salem, MA.

Tom

Back