What can be better than owning a surface grinder?

OldCarGuy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A basic home shop will usually consists of a vertical milling machine and a lathe. Next in my book would be a surface grinder. You can hold closer tolerances, leaves smoother surfaces, Machine hardened tool steels. With a simple spin fixture grinding hardened shafts are possible and or cut to length. Along with proper fixture sharpening drill and end mills are possible. A good starter surface grinder is a 6”X12”. A good used 6”X18” usually found at the same cost would be an even better choice. At a bigger price power table feeds are nice. Far less work to run and get better surface finishes.

Today I have a U.S. Industrial 6” by 18” surface grinder with a 1/2” wide by 8” Dia. Wheel, a permanent magnetic chuck, over wheel diamond dresser, flood coolant, two-axis digital readouts, and automatic two-axis electric power table feeds.
IMG_5741.jpeg

No better alternative to a surface grinder than a second one. Mine is a U.S. Industrial 12” by 24” with a 1” wide by 12” Dia. wheel, a permanent magnetic chuck, over wheel diamond dresser, flood coolant, two-axis digital readouts, and hydraulic reciprocating table with an electric motor increment cross feed, power elevation to spindle, and two-axis digital readouts. Capacity is the main reason for this grinder. Along with a bigger & wider wheel that can remove more steel in less time.
IMG_5743.jpeg

Grinding two .060" thick precision protractor blades.

restore21.jpg

Does "US Industrial Machinery" mean made in China?

US Industrial Machinery is located in Memphis Tennessee and has been importing high quality metalworking machinery since 1986 mainly from China. Two years ago I made a package deal for these two surface grinders, an 16” swing by 40” lathe, and an 8” column by 32” arm Radial Drill Press. I'm very happy with the overall design and quality of all these machines. Along with the company's enthusiasm in the purchase phase along with their technical help since.

U>S> Industrial Machinery

Back