What are they?

hotrats

andy harwood
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I know, but thought I'd see if anyone else may have knowledge of what they are and made of. A bit over 100 yrs old.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 58
Looks like trench art letter openers.

Could be made from bomb fragments or the like.

At first I thought was beat up bakelite, but looking closer, @RaisedByWolves is surely on it. I got lucky, the only frag I collected was what I picked up after diving into a pit to avoid it- smoking hot that stuff gets. One of my buddies brought it home with them on the inside, only to have the MRI find it the hard way later. Others never had the chance.

Looks like trench art letter openers.

Could be made from bomb fragments or the like.
Exactly. WW1 Shrapnel. A piece of the driving band remains on one. There are inscriptions on the blades, appears to be German, but very faint.
I don't think anyone can tell what they are made of from pics, but I have been wrong before.
cool that you have them in rough form.
Thanks. I had collected some WW2 trench art letter openers made from brass, and saw these. Had them for a couple decades or so.
At first I thought was beat up bakelite, but looking closer, @RaisedByWolves is surely on it. I got lucky, the only frag I collected was what I picked up after diving into a pit to avoid it- smoking hot that stuff gets. One of my buddies brought it home with them on the inside, only to have the MRI find it the hard way later. Others never had the chance.
Thank you for your service. Very much!

Back