We can't yap any more.

strantor

Active User
Registered
It has been brought to my attention by a representative of Gen Z (my 18 y/o) that the word "yap," which has been part of the English language for over 300 years, is a thing of young people, and that when "old people" (millennials and above) say it, it sounds "cringy." I googled the word to show my daughter that in fact her generation did not invent this word, nor did they even appropriate it and give it new meaning, the first result I found is this:

1721938899314.png

Even the Zoomer writers at Fortune Magazine think their generation invented it! What kind of social phenomenon is this? Mandela Effect? Ask a young person, I bet money they think "yapping" is something new. If they do, show them this:

1721939206062.png

They're 138 years late to the party.

It has been brought to my attention by a representative of Gen Z (my 18 y/o) that the word "yap," which has been part of the English language for over 300 years, is a thing of young people, and that when "old people" (millennials and above) say it, it sounds "cringy." I googled the word to show my daughter that in fact her generation did not invent this word, nor did they even appropriate it and give it new meaning, the first result I found is this:

View attachment 497925

Even the Zoomer writers at Fortune Magazine think their generation invented it! What kind of social phenomenon is this? Mandela Effect? Ask a young person, I bet money they think "yapping" is something new. If they do, show them this:

View attachment 497926

They're 138 years late to the party.
Thats what happens when most of them just want to be locked in a closet (Locked from the inside) with their IPad.

Many meanings have been contorted to new definitions.
I get that. Whoever was the first person to use the word "cock" not in reference to a flightless bird probably thought they were pretty clever, and I guess they were, since we are still copying their creative vulgarity today. But this ain't that. This is like taking the word "spinach," using it in reference to the leafy green previously known as spinach, and thinking you did something novel that deserves a generational copyright.

I get that. Whoever was the first person to use the word "cock" not in reference to a flightless bird probably thought they were pretty clever, and I guess they were, since we are still copying their creative vulgarity today. But this ain't that. This is like taking the word "spinach," using it in reference to the leafy green previously known as spinach, and thinking you did something novel that deserves a generational copyright.
Lol. You have no idea how close to another new word you are. My 15 year old takes a lot of pride in dropping new words in front of his parents for the shock value and the satisfaction of eliciting hard eye rolls.

My son was admiring his job of combing his hair while looking in the mirror and mentioned to me that his "lettuce is on point today, Dad, no skibbidy, on cap."

After my incredulous reply I received the translation. Lettuce = hair, Skibbidy = nonsense word but in this context means "not kidding" and "on cap" means "swearing to god" or an "oath".

I can't help but laugh. What are you going to do? It's kind of funny because he will also say immediately after his show that he "worries for his generation." lol.

Lol. You have no idea how close to another new word you are. My 15 year old takes a lot of pride in dropping new words in front of his parents for the shock value and the satisfaction of eliciting hard eye rolls.

My son was admiring his job of combing his hair while looking in the mirror and mentioned to me that his "lettuce is on point today, Dad, no skibbidy, on cap."

After my incredulous reply I received the translation. Lettuce = hair, Skibbidy = nonsense word but in this context means "not kidding" and "on cap" means "swearing to god" or an "oath".

I can't help but laugh. What are you going to do? It's kind of funny because he will also say immediately after his show that he "worries for his generation." lol.
What the sigma? That's sus rizz. Yeah skibbidy toilet eating they can have all that, that is legitimately language of their own creation and I don't use it because it sounds "cringy" even to me. Yeah they can have all that but they need to know that they don't own yapping :congratulate:

Back