Walker Turner Series 900 Drill Press

Dubuque

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I just picked up a Walker Turner series 900 press today and it has the slow speed attachment. There are springs on the posts (table rods) for the motor mount to the drill head. Are these OEM?

The slow speed attachment is not threaded. It is a smooth shaft. Is that OEM also?

The previous owner painted it all black. That will take me some work to get that stripped off! Any advice on how to get the black paint off of the Walker Turner badge without taking the underlying original paint off.

Thanks, Tom

Attachments

• 20240705_203222.jpg
    20240705_203222.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240705_205907.jpg
    20240705_205907.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 31
That slow speed setup is not original…but sure looks like I was planning on making for mine!

Yeah, springs were added by someone…not OEM either

I have a Walker Turner drill press and made the slow speed attachment in a more simplified manner
to match the one I placed on my buffalo drill press.
Slow speed access is nice , but too cumbersome.. I like to change speed in seconds, not minutes
The springs are nice for belt tension, but NOT for speed changes , in fact they make it more difficult.
Mount your motor on a small sub plate, then mount that on a Barn Door Hinge and that on the drill press mounting plate
Then mount a swing arm latch with a notch (s) that matches your tension setting ( Adjust the mounting plate and LOCK the setting)
By using pulleys that match each other ( 1" step sizes ie 2,3,4,5 ) the tension does not need to be readjusted
The third picture is my buffalo Press which has a DC drive motor for the ultimate in speed control, but shows the barn door hinge opened
and the latch notch and hinge notch. You can see how the hinge was mounted
( the rod shown in this picture is to prevent the motor from swinging if accidentally turned on during belt change)
To change speed, i lift the latch and the belts loosen , switch belts, and push the barn hinge away from me and then drop the latch in place.
Notice the intermediate pulley shaft has a small lever and the intermediate shaft can rotate within the column. Lever can be seen in the top right of the middle picture- I use the lever at times to assist the latch

Rich

Attachments

• PA300009 A.jpg
    PA300009 A.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 13
  • P3100016 A.jpg
    P3100016 A.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 15
  • PA300005 A.jpg
    PA300005 A.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thanks, guys, for the replies.

Rich, that is a clever set up for setting the belt tension. I forgot to mention that this is my second Walker Turner DP. I restored another one a couple of years ago.

I am planning on putting a VFD on this one in order to change speeds. The motor on this "new" one is not original and is pretty rough. I managed to scrounge a very clean 3 phase motor from a Powermatic jointer so that is going on with the VFD.

Another question is, does anyone know what the size and threads are of the return spring catch pin? A previous owner replaced it with a screw that is undersized. I would like to get a proper screw back in to hold the return spring onto the feed pinion.

Tom

Back