Vintage Craftsman motor issues.

Quick Cal

Registered
Registered
This is to weird of a story to try an explain. So I hope you guy's can just watch the video please.

I keep saying it starts in one direction, then takes off in the other. But I think I was shutting the switch off real quick THEN it was starting in the other direction?

The start circuit is malfunctioning, so it starts randomly in either direction. Either the start capacitor or the internal start switch are faulty.
The capacitor may be inside the base, If not a cap issue, then you'll need to open it up and check the switch.
Rarely there is a start winding problem, but it's the least likely scenario

Last edited:
The start circuit is malfunctioning, so it starts randomly in either direction. Either the start capacitor or the internal start switch are faulty.
The capacitor may be inside the base, or it's a split-phase motor and doesn't have a cap, just a switch. If not a cap issue, then you'll need to open it up and check the switch.
Rarely there is a start winding problem, but it's the least likely scenario
Isn't the start capacitor the square box thing that I have hanging out of the bottom? I do have a very similar motor that will start but has internal arcing issues. I can try that capacitor,,, assuming it's the square box thing,,,lol.

Yep square box thing, check
two wires coming out, check
Impossible to find replacement, check
:cupcake:

Well check this out. I took the one out of my other motor. I suspect the MFD is too far off, or is it worth trying? Or will it just cause bad things to happen,,,lol.

The one in the motor I'm trying to get going is 145-185 mfd. The loaner one is 124-155 mfd. Will it work?

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 5
I went to the hardware store and had them tested. The one out of THIS motor test 107mfd. So that's pretty low for the 146-185 spec. The SPARE one tested 133. So it's a bit too low for the required spec. I've read that you can go about 10% lower but it's not really good for the motor.

Now knowing this spare is 133 should I try it?

That being said I all ready ordered one off amazon. They had one similar at the hardware store but it was quite a bit higher mfd. But it was a smaller size. Which I THINK so is this one from amazon. I had some amazon points built up so I used them,,,lol. I can just put the motor on some kind of mount adding about 3/4-1 inch I think. We'll see when I get it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FK7CCLW?psc=1&smid=A1AYL7R1FO7UT0&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

If the 133 uF doesn't work then issue is internal switch or bad winding
Motor terminals miswired? Only other possibility

Last edited:
Back