VFD doesn't like heat

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have 4) XSY-AT1 VFD's and haven't had any trouble with any of them (oldest is 3 or 4 years old). The newest one (less than 1 year old) now is not starting when the shop ambient temperature is over about 75F. Works just fine in the morning and on cooler days but once the temp hits plus 75 or so, it will not start. Gives a under voltage error (I assume this means incoming voltage). I have played with parameters.

To me it acts like a component in the power supply section is sensitive to heat and the output of that section is too low.

I've checked incoming voltage and it is good @ 241 volts.

Any ideas?

I have 4) XSY-AT1 VFD's and haven't had any trouble with any of them (oldest is 3 or 4 years old). The newest one (less than 1 year old) now is not starting when the shop ambient temperature is over about 75F. Works just fine in the morning and on cooler days but once the temp hits plus 75 or so, it will not start. Gives a under voltage error (I assume this means incoming voltage). I have played with parameters.

To me it acts like a component in the power supply section is sensitive to heat and the output of that section is too low.

I've checked incoming voltage and it is good @ 241 volts.

Any ideas?
Who does like heat?, not I ---

Check all the wiring connections before giving up, it is a long shot but might just be a loose screw.

As new as that unit is, I'd suspect a soldering defect. If you check the voltage setting that @Ulma Doctor mentioned and that's not it, I'd pop the top, put on the magnifiers and carefully examine the solder connections on all the boards. Where there are through-hole components I like to examine the solder side while pushing lightly on the component - usually pretty good for sussing out those cold joints that start moving as things warm up.

GsT

Electrolytic capacitors have very short life compared to most electronic components, expected life is often quoted in just thousands of hours. This is a bit deceiving because this is at the capacitors maximum rated temperature.

Good quality equipment often uses capacitors rated for 20,000 hours with a 105deg C rating
Cheap equipment often uses capacitors rated for 1,000 hours at 85deg C

Might be a bad capacitor. In general made in China capacitors have a bad reputation for life expectancy. I have two very old Schneider VFDs that just keep on working, I had one similar to yours fail after one year with really minimal hours.

Good : https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/nichicon/LNX2G472MSEH/2549222
Cheap:
B664DC2F-846B-430A-8E49-1383EC441601.png

Last edited:
Electrolytic capacitors have very short life compared to most electronic components, expected life is often quoted in just thousands of hours. This is a bit deceiving because this is at the capacitors maximum rated temperature.

Good quality equipment often uses capacitors rated for 20,000 hours with a 105deg C rating
Cheap equipment often uses capacitors rated for 1,000 hours at 85deg C

Vizio TV's use the cheap 2000 hour capacitors in their power supplies (probably throughout the TV too). The 20,000hr capacitors were about 30% bigger and barley fit on the power supply board when I replaced them.

I will never buy a Vizio TV again.

In my home shop environment I would expect even the cheap electrolytic capacitors to last more than a year. But I do agree they are the first thing I would expect to go bad.

Per what was previously stated check Check P68 under voltage setting, the default value for the 200V VFD version would be 160V. Since this is input voltage it is before the diodes/ca[capacitors and represents line voltage. With the power OFF and the capacitors discharged I would check all your line connections, plug/terminal connections, etc. If you used crimps, possibly the wire is loose or poorly connected, check fuses/breaker. Energize the system and check the AC line voltages at the input terminals, should be 230-240VAC, unless you are running it off of 120 and it has a voltage doubler on the input. If it does then the capacitors in the voltage doubler circuit could be going. Heat greatly accelerates the demise of electrolytic capacitors, and the inexpensive VFD's often are pushing the thermal/component limits. Another possibility is that there are typically traces from the input terminals to the diode and capacitors, the traces often can burn up and cause the VFD to fault or go up in smoke.

As soon as I have time, I will remove from mount and examine all I can. Got some good ideas from all. Thanks, I'll keep informed.
Aaron

Back