Vevor Replacement Motor?

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
After 2 years of decent service the motor on my HF 4X6 burned out. I came across this inexpensive motor and wondered if anyone has experience with it as a direct replacement?

Is your original motor 1.5 HP? Seems large for a 4x6 bandsaw
Anyhow, it's hard to have confidence in that brand for electrical stuff

Last edited:
That's a lot of motor for that saw. The saw can't use it.

That's a lot of motor for the 18ga wiring and the switch on that saw.
That would need the switch investigated, and the wires replaced.
(Yes, cords get overloaded, but these came from the factory that way. They won't start that motor cleanly).

I never thought I'd say it, but I'd get a motor from Harbor Freight before I got one from Vevor. Vevor has more cool machines than Harbor Freight does, but the sketchyness has Harbor Freight out sketched by a mile. And Vevor's motor pricing does not make them stand out in the price department in that category anyhow.

have you looked at Harbor Freight's motors? (I never thought I'd say that....).
57338 / 68288 looks pretty entertaining. One horse (that's what your saw came with), 120/240, reversible, 56 frame. Perfect for a "project motor". (Have you checked the shaft size yet?)
I thought they also had a half horse motor in that lineup, but I can't find it. I wouldn't rule that out either if you stumble on one. Only once in a blue moon would that hold you back any, and in low speed you'd never know the difference anyhow.....

No matter how you slice it though, this is one of the pains of owning "economical" tools for limited use. When something goes wrong, the motor costs half or two thirds of what the whole machine cost new. As does each of eight other individual parts of the machine. Been there, done that. I feel your pain no matter which way you go.

I just went and looked at mine- That motor has a 15mm shaft, necked down to 14mm for the pulley. Generic replacement motors don't tend to do that. This will be problematic for a "drop in" solution.
You're gonna have to bore the pulley and adjust the keyway (or maybe just the key?) as discounted generic 56 frame motors don't act that way. They act like 5/8, maybe 1/2, or expensive. I question now if it's really a 56, or if it just kinda looks like it....

You sure you can't fix the original motor? Often it's just a capacitor
Did the windings burn up?

Last edited:
My mistake... it's the OEM Motor which I believe is rated 1 hp.

It started smoking, I shut it down, let it cool, started it again and the smoke reappeared after 10 seconds or so. I haven't pulled it yet so I don't know what's causing the smoke. Will try to pull it tomorrow and find out what's going on. Originally I thought I'd need a new one under any circumstances?

Back