Very old Taft Peirce oil metering system (Bijur predecessor?)

Rex Walters

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm restoring a very old Taft Pierce No. 1 Surface Grinder that I bought for just $500. That project is worth its own write up, but I'm too anxious to get it working again to waste time writing it up. Maybe in the future.

I didn't realize it when I bought it, but this is a very early model of this machine indeed. The serial number is 85 which probably means it was built in 1939 from what I can discover (1940 started with serial number 140, apparently). It has plain ways under the saddle instead of roller bearings, no backlash adjustment on the cross-feed screw, and a few other discrepancies from newer versions of this machine.

I've found two versions of the manual, but neither contain a date. Grr.

The older version of the manual has less info, but appears to match this machine better (it describes flat/plain ways, etc.). That version of the manual has no mention of a one-shot oil distribution system, though, which this one clearly has.

The newer manual describes a 9-line oil distribution that matches what's in my machine, but the pictures and text describe a more typical pump/reservoir with a spring-loaded tee-handle mounted on the right side of the pedestal. Mine had the reservoir and a separate lever-actuated pump mounted inside the pedestal (making filling the reservoir more of a hassle for sure).

The only reference to an oiling system in the older manual was the single sentence: "Keep the oil tank filled with a good grade of light ball bearing oil and use the oil pump once a day."

There was a pretty cool sticker on the reservoir, but it completely disintegrated as soon as I touched it, unfortunately. Any guesses as to the manufacturer? I could just make out "...OWE ... TYPE B". Maybe "...OWE CORP TYPE B"?

IMG_0396.jpgIMG_0399.jpg

If anyone recognizes either of those stickers, I'd love to know more. I thought someone had replaced the sight glass with a piece of brass tubing, by the way, but once I cleaned it up sufficiently I realized it actually was still clear glass!

Here's the pump itself:

IMG_0397.jpg

(Yes, I bought a parts washer just for this project. I may have to dispose of this one and buy another when I'm done ... geez this thing was filthy!)

Now to the point of this post:

The pump feeds a manifold with 9 metering valves:

IMG_0400.jpg

Here's a close-up of the valves themselves after a slight cleanup:

IMG_0407.jpg

The top part parts are just adapters from from 5/16 to 3/16" OD oil lines with compression fittings. The valves themselves are stamped with "1" or "3" (I think the same flow rates that Bijur uses) but there is no arrow showing direction of flow (which is bottom to top in the last photo) nor any "FSA"/"FJB"/etc like a "modern" metering valve on a Bridgeport or whatever might show.

The new manual shows the type of metering valve I expected:

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 11.46.38 AM.png

But the actual valves in the machine were VERY different:

IMG_0463.jpegIMG_0464.jpeg

The input is on the left and the output on the right. From left to right is:

A metering piston (the #3 is shorter than a #1, allowing more oil to enter the chamber), a paper or phenolic washer, a spring, a one-way valve to prevent back flow, and a 5/16 to 3/16 adapter.

The back flow valve has a spring loaded ball at the end, and a small orifice to allow oil to flow through when the spring resistance is overcome, moving the ball to the right and breaking the seal. I couldn't remove the ball valve for further cleaning without destroying the part, but here's a view from the right end showing the small orifice.

IMG_0470.jpeg

I really didn't want to replace all of these parts if I could avoid it. (It would have been about $180 just for new Bijur valves, and since none of the threads and diameters would have matched, and I REALLY dislike plumbing, I'd have lost my mind trying to find all the correct adapters.

The diameter of the bore where the metering plunger rides was 0.304" on the money for most of the valves (a few were slightly smaller diameter, and one had a pronounce step in the middle that was only 0.301" and appeared to be a defect from the original manufacturing, not dirt or whatever.

I discovered that if I filled the bore with mineral spirits / diesel / whatever, I could flush out the crud by inserting a 0.304" gage pin and making a sort of mini squirt gun. One hard, fast squeeze would overcome the spring tension and blast out the fluid along with whatever crud was in there. The gage pin was a tight enough hydraulic fit that it wouldn't leak (if I pressed hard and fast). I repeated the process multiple times for each valve.

I still wanted to test each line individually, so I wanted to plug all but one line in the manifold at a time. The output ports were some sort of weird 7/16-24 pipe thread. I've never seen that before, but some internet research leads me to believe it might have been used for brake lines on some old cars.

I had no easy way to make plugs with a tapered 7/16"-24 pipe thread. The only way I know to make pipe threads is with a die or with a tapering attachment on the lathe. A specialty die was too expensive for one-use parts, and it wasn't worth a side project to make a tapering attachment, either.

So I made some plugs by single-pointing 7/16-24 straight threads, and lightly filed a slight taper on the OD of the resulting threads. It's not a real pipe thread since the pitch diameter didn't change, but I thought it might seal well enough to flush and test individual lines (I was right).

Here's the first plug before I milled some flats to make it easier to insert/remove:

IMG_0475.jpeg

And here's the test rig to verify the metering function with the original pump (redneck engineering at its finest):

IMG_0476.jpeg

With just one line connected, you barely have to move the pump handle to get a little spurt of oil. The #3 spurts out roughly three times as much as the #1 (whoda thunk?).

I was able to verify that everything worked as expected this way at least.

I've certainly never seen a one-shot lubricating system like this before. If anyone here has any further information about an old system like this, I'd love to know more!

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0464.jpeg
    IMG_0464.jpeg
    978.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0471.jpeg
    IMG_0471.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 2
It could be a Stowe brand pump but not much on the www other than one reference to an old bucket pump.
I'll look through some of my really old industrial supply catalogs this weekend and see what turns up.
My much newer T-P has a Bijur.

Nothing conclusive, but I think you may be right about Stowe.

There were apparently a Kansas City hardware and supply company. A few people are selling copies of their catalog (for more than I really want to pay, but it's tempting). This one from 1938-1939 has a similar graphic design vibe (that cool old art deco look):

Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 10.39.39 AM.png

I'd dearly love to find an old label like the one on the reservoir, though. So far, no joy.

I just spent a VERY enjoyable few minutes reading all 800 pages of their general catalog no. 30 from 1924 (sadly, a decade too early). It's available online at one of my favorite charities:

Wow, what I wouldn't give to have a Time Machine to visit Kansas City in 1924. Such cool stuff.

The closest thing I found was this:

Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 10.25.54 AM.png

At least in 1924, it appears they mostly resold stuff from their suppliers and didn't have many things branded with their own name.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 10.39.39 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 10.39.39 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Man I wish I'd taken a better photo of that reservoir label. It's completely destroyed now, nothing left.

But I'm starting to think this is a false trail. I think the "OWE" might be part of "POWER", possibly "POWERLUBE TYPE B".

Looking closely, it appears to be a separate label from the one below with the name of the company on it. The only word I can make out on the stripe with the company name is "corp" which isn't any help at all.

Geez I'm dumb sometimes.

I was looking for a photo to share with family, and was shocked to discover this one on my phone (taken immediately after removing the front of pedestal -- which obviously hadn't been done for decades):

IMG_0276-640.jpeg

I tried to avoid touching the label while removing it, but you already saw how well that went.

I still can't read it, but it's either OWEN Oilshot System Type B or something ending "OWEN".

The spacing is too perfect for it to be two glued on labels. I still can't read the lower portion: something CORP AU...

Glad I found this, because the label is completely destroyed now.

There's a possibility if you could pull-up a Thomas Register from around that time your manufacturer will be listed.
Perhaps the American Precision Museum could help...?

I'm quite familiar with the Thomas Register: part of my job circa 1979-1980 as a technician for the Electronics Material Readiness Activity in Vint Hill Farms, VA was to find suppliers for "trailing edge" technology of the era. I kept my nose in the Register much of the working day.

I'm less familiar with the American Precision Museum, but I think I've seen a couple YouTube videos about the place. Would love to visit.

I keep finding differences between the original No. 1 surface grinders like mine and the new models.

Today, I cleaned up the column somewhat, and stripped off at least a half dozen layers of paint. Filthy, exhausting work. But I noticed that under more recent coats of paint, the top has three 10-32 tapped holes and the ghost of an outline from something that was there originally.

The bolt-on top piece of the older model is just a simple, flat casting:

IMG_0406.jpeg

More recent models apparently have a chain and pulley to adjust the tilt of the spindle. Older versions like mine are purely manual.

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 7.43.55 PM.png

Notice the one-shot oil pump is now outside the pedestal, too.

Here's the top of mine after stripping the paint and a little time with a wire wheel:

IMG_0482.jpeg

I'm really curious about what was mounted there originally. Since I own a pantograph engraver, I'd like to make a replica if it was some sort of Taft Peirce logo/badge, but I have no idea what it might have looked like originally.

I know for certain it wasn't the tilt mechanism mounted there, because that would need holes in the casting for the chain.

Anyone have a guess as to what was there originally? I'm searching through old TP literature now, looking for photos.

---

Edit:

Based on this old wartime photo, it appears whatever was mounted there wasn't factory original:

Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 9.14.18 PM.png

(Clearly a wartime photo. The guy in front must have been 4F!)

I'm guessing a lamp base was attached there. TP did make a riser block, but it appears to replace the casting rather than attaching to it.

I'll probably just fill the tapped holes and paint it, but I'm toying with the idea of attaching a brass plaque with the Taft Peirce snap gage logo:

Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 9.16.09 PM.png

Last edited:
I've always liked the design of the T-P employee badges with the cloisonné center.

1722861322954.png
I have one around here someplace and can eventually supply a better image if you'd like.
I also have a 1940 T-P catalog which pictures the grinder without the external pump but does
mention the balls under the table.
Soon as my phone decides to cooperate with my pc I can post that page.

I love that! I may very well put something like that there with the serial number of the machine: 85).

It occurred to me that a badge or place would have been attached with two drive pins, not three machine screws. I’m suspecting a lamp base, like a factory “in use”/“down” lamp.

The old manual mentions the plain balls under the table saddle (sorry for the confusion) to guide the center (prevent rotation around Y) but also clearly mentions flat bearing ways on the sides. The new version mentions rollers.

Last edited:
Back