Vertical four stroke

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So... I was looking for a project to keep me busy. To date, I have seven model engines. Each time I built one, I tried to make it different from the previous ones in some way. This latest engine is the first one that stands vertical. I had a 32 mm weed eater type piston I ordered from ebay and a cast iron liner I had previously made. I decided to use them for this project. My friend Ray had built a vertical engine several years ago so I looked up his build post on this forum. I ended up doing my engine quite a bit different. The crank was built from four pieces and I installed a ball bearing on the rod journal while I was assembling it. The cams, connecting rod, and fuel tank mount were cut on my CNC router. The carburetor came from a glow fuel airplane engine. The flywheels were made from barbell weights. I used a tapered bushings to attach the flywheels to the crank. When I was debating how to drive the the cam shaft I finally decided on a 24 tooth gear, a 48 tooth gear and an idler between them. (This allowed me to get the correct spacing) The main bearings are 1/2 ID by 1 1/8 OD ball bearings. The ignition is provided by a module I purchased from Stirlingkit.com. A wheel with a small magnet mounted in it was mounted on the crank to trip the Hall sensor. After a day of tweaking, I finally got it to run to my satisfaction. An important part of that is being able to hand crank it. (I had made an adapter for my drill which helped with getting going initially) Oh.. the exhaust stack came from one of junk boxes. Here is a short video.

And a fine job of this build Chris.
There is great satisfaction in doing it your way and figuring out the details as you move along.
My hat is off to you sir.

Ray

Back