Unusual Compound Milling Table

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just purchased this compound table in eBay. I've never seen anything like it. Judging from the the fact that it has grease nipples and nice looking micrometer dials, I'm hoping that it will be a fairly good piece.

Does anybody know who the manufacturer might be and the approximate age?

Attachments

• compound table.jpg
    compound table.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 166
  • compound table2.jpg
    compound table2.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 165
I've never seen one like that either!

I hope you'll supply more and better pictures when you receive it.

-brino

You can also mount a 4 jaw chuck if you use T-nuts

the nipples are for oil not grease and the lips is so that you can use coolant and it wont spill everywhere.
I agree it should have had oiler type fittings, but somebody installed grease zerk, not a good sign. I’d disassemble it and clean it up as its full of grease undoubtedly.

Here is an update you on the X-Y table pictured above. Brass/bronze coolant trough came off with two cap screws from underneath. It weighs at least 20 lbs, bringing the remaining table weight down to around 40. Underneath all that obnoxious paint, it is in very good condition. Appears to have hand scraped ways. It was grey to start with, so I repainted it gray. Both axes work as smooth as silk with almost zero backlash. I am replacing all the gib screws and jamb nuts.

I'm going to use the same two holes on top to adapt a Cardinal 4" Speed Vise to it. I will post another picture or two when I'm finished.

Attachments

• IMG_9300.JPG
    IMG_9300.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9302.JPG
    IMG_9302.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9303.JPG
    IMG_9303.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9304.JPG
    IMG_9304.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9306.JPG
    IMG_9306.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
Here is an update you on the X-Y table pictured above. Brass/bronze coolant trough came off with two cap screws from underneath. It weighs at least 20 lbs, bringing the remaining table weight down to around 40. Underneath all that obnoxious paint, it is in very good condition. Appears to have hand scraped ways. It was grey to start with, so I repainted it gray. Both axes work as smooth as silk with almost zero backlash. I am replacing all the gib screws and jamb nuts.

I'm going to use the same two holes on top to adapt a Cardinal 4" Speed Vise to it. I will post another picture or two when I'm finished.
very high quality for sure with scraping and a bronze table just screams quality.

That's a seriously cool find!

Another update on X-Y table above:

Vise is shown in position on drill press, but I'm waiting for a 12" length of 4" x 3/8" cold roll to make the mounting plate. A 4" jaw opening is the most that can be fully accommodated, as both axes have 4" of travel. I'm going to drill the plate for both the Cardinal 4" speed vise and a 4" Heinrich.

The vise just misses the column at full X axis travel. Base plate bolts down to drill press with two 3/8" bolts. Total weight with vise will be around 60 lbs. Table lift mechanism seems to like it OK.

Attachments

• IMG_9323.JPG
    IMG_9323.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9321.JPG
    IMG_9321.JPG
    927.8 KB · Views: 71
Back