TW90, KMG, or Bader 2"by 72" belt grinders, which is best?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi Guys,
I took my time and went thru all the belt grinders I could find and have been recommended by my last thread results.
First, let me ask your opinion on direct drive vs belt and pulley.
Secound, let me ask advice on a dc motor with variable speed drive or a 3 phase motor with VFD, running on single phase 220.
Third, being I am a hobbyist, but still want a top machine, without building one, even from a kit,
is the TW-90 worth the higher price?
Thanks,
Jon

Jon, the TW90 is a very nice grinder, it has some accessories that u can't find on any other grinders ( like the magnetic surface plate ) it runs very smooth and is a work of art, but its $$$ The KMG is a nice grinder, not as refined as the TW90 and not as many bells and whistles as the tw90 either, but its less $$$, The Bader is like the KMG in most respects, but I think its a bit more $$ than the KMG... All of those grinders are made for major metal removal and geared to knife making and fab work, they are allot of grinder.....I will say that I like my grinders with a VFD, its nice to slow things down when doing some of my work, also some belts work better at different speeds.....

I haven't used those 2 grinders you list. I have a Wilton Square Wheel 2x72" with a 1 1/4 H.P. D.C. motor from Surplus Sales ( they don't seem to carry it any more) with variable speed. I like it very much. Its belt is fully enclosed,and I collect the sparks with a large square plastic "funnel"wish it was metal,but the plastic is holding up fine). I have a dedicated vacuum for it. It quickly switches from flat platen to 8" drive wheel. You can get small rollers down to 1" for the end of the platen(but,don't run them FULL speed!!). I made a curved block of steel that clamps onto the flat platen. It simulates grinding on a much larger wheel,like they had in the old days,for hollow grinding knives. I make pieces of fully hardened A2 steel that screws over the flat cast iron platen. It wears slowly,and can be flipped over or replaced when it gets grooves in it. I got tired of buying new platens. It works just fine. New platens years ago were $90.00.Probably a lot more now. The A2 plates are 1/8" thick,and fit the size of the platen. There are screw holes close to each corner(where they do not get in the way of grinding). The holes are counter sunk on both sides so I can flip it when worn. Just use flat head screws,about 10/24.

The Wilton is not the prettiest grinder out there,but I do like the totally enclosed belt as I have COPD enough already. I don't want to breathe ANY dust,especially metal or ceramic belt dust. I think the Wilton is the most versatile one I have seen.

Check Surplus Sales. By now,they may have resumed carrying the 1 1/4 H.P. DC motor. We had a 1 H.P. at work,which was perfectly adequate also. Having that crawling speed when you are nervously putting the finishing touches on a hunting knife,is good. You don't want excessive dollops of metal ground away when just finishing a hollow grind job. I did not have variable speed for many years,but would not be without it. I shake a little by now.

I found a used Delta dust collector with a large fiber drum,and the motor and fan mounted on the top. There's a large bag coming out the side of the fan,but by the time sparks get to it(or even down the 7 foot hose,mostly) they have died out,so nothing gets burned out. I put no wood in there. Metal only. You do not want a burning jet engine on your hands!!

I haven't used those 2 grinders you list. I have a Wilton Square Wheel 2x72" with a 1 1/4 H.P. D.C. motor from Surplus Sales ( they don't seem to carry it any more) with variable speed. I like it very much. Its belt is fully enclosed,and I collect the sparks with a large square plastic "funnel"wish it was metal,but the plastic is holding up fine). I have a dedicated vacuum for it. It quickly switches from flat platen to 8" drive wheel. You can get small rollers down to 1" for the end of the platen(but,don't run them FULL speed!!). I made a curved block of steel that clamps onto the flat platen. It simulates grinding on a much larger wheel,like they had in the old days,for hollow grinding knives. I make pieces of fully hardened A2 steel that screws over the flat cast iron platen. It wears slowly,and can be flipped over or replaced when it gets grooves in it. I got tired of buying new platens. It works just fine. New platens years ago were $90.00.Probably a lot more now. The A2 plates are 1/8" thick,and fit the size of the platen. There are screw holes close to each corner(where they do not get in the way of grinding). The holes are counter sunk on both sides so I can flip it when worn. Just use flat head screws,about 10/24.

The Wilton is not the prettiest grinder out there,but I do like the totally enclosed belt as I have COPD enough already. I don't want to breathe ANY dust,especially metal or ceramic belt dust. I think the Wilton is the most versatile one I have seen.

Check Surplus Sales. By now,they may have resumed carrying the 1 1/4 H.P. DC motor. We had a 1 H.P. at work,which was perfectly adequate also. Having that crawling speed when you are nervously putting the finishing touches on a hunting knife,is good. You don't want excessive dollops of metal ground away when just finishing a hollow grind job. I did not have variable speed for many years,but would not be without it. I shake a little by now.

I found a used Delta dust collector with a large fiber drum,and the motor and fan mounted on the top. There's a large bag coming out the side of the fan,but by the time sparks get to it(or even down the 7 foot hose,mostly) they have died out,so nothing gets burned out. I put no wood in there. Metal only. You do not want a burning jet engine on your hands!!
Thanks George,
Thanks for the advice. I will be getting a variable speed on whatever I choose. As you have mentioned, there is no dust control system, maybe a strong dust collector positioned where the most dust comes from.
Your system works very well, I borrowed it from you.
Thanks,
Jon

I have a hand held variable speed Porter Cable Belt sander that has been dropped several times and the plastic handles are broken. I was thinking of making a little bench top belt grinder for sharpening drill bits and HSS cutters. Has anyone made something like this? I think I should adapt it to use a longer belt and allow more cooling. What belt sizes are standard in 2 or 3 inch?

Thanks

John

I own a heavily modified Wilton Square Wheel. It doesn't hold a candle to any of the others listed, in terms of ease of tool change or smoothness. I've worked on. A few Baders, as well as a KMG or two. If I had the money, without thinking twice I'd buy a TW90. If I had the money right now, I'd already own it.

Back