Trying to find the correct gear oil for my apron

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
My Clausing 5913 calls for

Texaco Regal Oil "G" 961220 (207)Modern day replacement Texaco Regal R&O 220
Translates to Mobile DTE BB.

I'm having trouble finding either of these. I will need about a quart or maybe quart and a half. Could the lube experts point me to the right oil and where to buy small quantiles. Thanks.

if it's just gear oil and not lubricating the ways as well, I would think DTE would be fine, but in a medium viscosity.

McMaster-Carr has the DTE BB, but in 5 gallon pails. Mobil SHC 630 is the synthetic equivalent to DTE BB and is available in quart containers from McMaster. Shell Tellus 220 is another option if you can find that.

I use a 50/50 mix of 30 wt and chainsaw bar oil. My lathe doesn't get used every day and is in a non heated/air conditioned shop. My lathe has an oil pump in the apron and has no problem pushing the oil through to the half dozen oil points.
My concoction clings to the ways, etc much longer than anything else.

That is a pretty basic (quality stuff, but basic makeup) 220 R&O. You're gonna have a hard time going backwards on that one if you cross reference it. I suspect that the trouble is getting it in less than a 5 gallon pail?

If I assume that the lathe is over 20 years old (pretty new relatively speaking), with products and standards changing over the years, if you were better off to drop down to 150 ish cst. 100 would probably be fine, but I havn't got near what I need (Including the inscessent time this takes) to sort that out. is there a pump in there? If there is, make sure it's in good order, but if it is, you're golden. that's it. You could use an AW oil without second thought too. You'll never use any of the AW in that application, it won't even really see the conditions to "activate", but if it gets it in useful quantities, it's not gonna hurt anything.

That's a very "industrial" oil to find small quantities in, but in the brands I'm familiar with, Shell Harmony, Phillips 66 syncon, and Chevron regal would be premium products, if any of those are near you.....

That is a pretty basic (quality stuff, but basic makeup) 220 R&O. You're gonna have a hard time going backwards on that one if you cross reference it. I suspect that the trouble is getting it in less than a 5 gallon pail?

If I assume that the lathe is over 20 years old (pretty new relatively speaking), with products and standards changing over the years, if you were better off to drop down to 150 ish cst. 100 would probably be fine, but I havn't got near what I need (Including the inscessent time this takes) to sort that out. is there a pump in there? If there is, make sure it's in good order, but if it is, you're golden. that's it. You could use an AW oil without second thought too. You'll never use any of the AW in that application, it won't even really see the conditions to "activate", but if it gets it in useful quantities, it's not gonna hurt anything.

That's a very "industrial" oil to find small quantities in, but in the brands I'm familiar with, Shell Harmony, Phillips 66 syncon, and Chevron regal would be premium products, if any of those are near you.....
I ordered this today. You are right about small quantities. I would likely never use 1 gallon much less 5 gallons so why let my money sit in the corner of my shop gathering dust.

Mobil SHC 630 Circulating ISO 220 1qt​

BTW what does the ISO 220 mean? I understand 10 wt 20wt 30 wt etc but the ISO stuff throws me for a loop.

BTW what does the ISO 220 mean? I understand 10 wt 20wt 30 wt etc but the ISO stuff throws me for a loop.
Just a number that means it meets the specification for that weight and any other requirements

Weight means less, ISO has more specifications. So it tells you more about it using one number. You can have multiple 10w oils that do different things, but the ISO is specific

Back