Tramming Question

Geswearf

Registered
Registered
Quite a few milling machines have the ability to turn the head (call it the headstock?) at an angle so the axis of a straight end mill is not perpendicular to the table. The machines I am thinking of usually have indexing marks to enable the operator to twist the head to the approximate desired angle. A couple of examples of what I am describing would be the PM728 and 833 benchtop machines. Larger knee mills almost always have this feature.

Does this mean that any time the operator twists the head off the vertical, he has to tram the machine (at least in the x-axis)? Or do some machines have built in 'stops' that allow the head to be pivoted back to the original setting?

My milling machine has a stop so I can reposition it quit easy. In the last 10 years, I have used the tilting head option only 2 or 3 times. For me it is easier and more accurate to tilt the part in the vice using angled spacers. Jo Pie has made a video on how to accurately make angled spacers.

Yes, you need to tram the head every time you tilt or nod it. Buying the fixtures that makes it quick and easy is worth the money, it seems to me. I'd hate to be afraid to use the versatility of my new mill just because I didn't want to have to tram it back in after doing so.

That does not in any way mean I disagree with the above about learning efficient ways to secure work at the needed angle. Sometimes that just doesn't work out, though.

Rick "has used a back-plunge dial indicator on an arm clamped to a drill rod to check tram of drill presses--expects to do the same with the new mill" Denney

Once you get it PERFECT, one can drill and install a taper pin with bolt to quickly remove and re install.

Capture.JPG

One of the best features of my Mini-Mill is that it has a “solid column:” no temptation to tilt/angle the column. My Micro-Mill does have the ability to tilt, but I haven’t loosened the pivot bolt since I trammed it 10+ years ago.

One of the best features of my Mini-Mill is that it has a “solid column:” no temptation to tilt/angle the column. My Micro-Mill does have the ability to tilt, but I haven’t loosened the pivot bolt since I trammed it 10+ years ago.
Do you check your tram periodically? I learned the hard way to do so. I never figured out how my mill got out of tram, but boy did it, and I pooched a part because of it.

GsT

Back