Toxic sand warning.

Jimsehr

Active User
Registered
Can sand blasting be harmful to humans? Yes it can be toxic !
Google it.

Open air sandblasting has been basically illegal here in NY for decades. One cannot even rent the equipment anymore.

Silicosis is real. Any cutting of concrete, or other sand based material without water can cause harmful dust. Water is needed to tame it.
But wearing a respirator or mask eliminates the danger. I think people under think it.
My used sand blast cabinet had a warning not to use sand. But it's enclosed, and if you run a vac and have the right filter there should be no harm since you are not breathing it. I don't understand their dire warning.

Yes x2 on Silicosis!

This is one of several reasons that concrete and related construction is getting more expensive: more and better PPE required throughout.

It is also why many newer hammer drills, etc. come with vacuum adapters to collect the dust before it becomes a problem.

And yet you still see people (amateurs & “professionals”) not wearing PPE (masks and glasses) when drilling/grinding/sawing concrete (even a wet saw can create dust).

And yet you still see people (amateurs & “professionals”) not wearing PPE (masks and glasses) when drilling/grinding/sawing concrete (even a wet saw can create dust).
I’ve worked with many a knothead that when it was pointed out to them their response is always “everybody’s gotta die of something”. Life is tough at the shallow end of the gene pool.

I’ve worked with many a knothead that when it was pointed out to them their response is always “everybody’s gotta die of something”. Life is tough at the shallow end of the gene pool.

I was threatened by a local contractor after I said something to a couple of his guys who were producing so much dust cutting CMU at a home remodel that I had to cross the street and they gave me lip: he didn’t like that I called the Township (pretty sure he liked it less that I called them (and local OSHA) after the threat). Can’t fix ignorant (not supposed to say “stupid” anymore).

Back