Tool grinder

KrakenKorn

Registered
Registered
As a newbie, I’m wondering if this might be a handy tool to have around the shop. It is local to me and available for a good price.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 73
Hi and welcome,

If the price is good for you it wouldn't hurt as long as you have space in your shop.

Does it come with any fixtures?

If you're like me you'll end up with a bunch of old US made end mills, drills, reamers, etc. that need to be sharpened. I haven't done much, but I figure learning how to do your own grinds on HSS tooling will expand your capabilities.

What's a good price?

John

I'm sure others will have opinions, IMHO it would be nice to have but not required.

The tooling is where you're going to spend the money. $450 seems like a lot to me, especially when you consider it's age and size.

I had been looking for one for a while, even passed on some at auction, for reasons I still don't know why. Been kicking myself ever since.

If you're a newbie, you have to ask yourself why you want it and could that money be spent better elsewhere. I wanted one so I could learn to sharpen end mills and get more precise grinds on cutters for my small shaper.

I found one recently, same manufacturer as this one, although a bit different. I didn't pay anything close, not even half, for this asking price.

Now, mind you, location is EVERYTHING. I live in the rust belt. Half of the machines out there seem to have been made in Cleveland, Cincinnati or Milwaukee. I can't swing a dead cat without finding machines for sale.

Without fixtures, it is next to useless.
Building fixtures can be an adventure in itself if the OP is up to it. I hadn't been at this hobby very long before I built the grinding fixture for my Hilco.

Haven't used it very much but looking forward to working with and refining it to advance my knowledge and skills.

John

Without fixtures, it is next to useless.
There are several KO Lee fixtures currently listed on eBay. The lowest asking price is $40.00, but most are listed for $300.00 to $500.00 each. I wonder what the grinder you're looking at was used for without any fixtures? I'm guessing they bought it at an auction and once they realized how much it was going to cost to outfit it, they decided it wasn't worth the investment.

You can sharpen a lot of end mills for the cost of a grinder and the necessary fixtures. Here's a price list from a shop in the Midwest.

Back