Time to make a back plate for a 6" chuck using the WRONG material.

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I acquired a 6" six-jaw tru-adjust Buck Chuck with a back plate that will work on my currently disassembled 1960 13" South Bend, but I would like to use it on my currently daily-driver 1942 South Bend. I have a chunk of 4150 - which is really the wrong material for this, but it was free, and free is a term that works well within the budgetary constraints of the shop fund. So why not, what could possibly go wrong?

Steel against steel can be problematic as it can seize and gall. That's why cast iron is often used for backplates as the high carbon content
acts as a kind of built-in lubricant
If you do it, be sure to lubricate the spindle threads well- grease them even

You’ll probably be fine, just clean and oil the spindle threads before use each time you mount it, which you probably do anyway. I’ve made a couple from steel and haven’t had any issues with them

Steel against steel can be problematic as it can seize and gall. That's why cast iron is often used for backplates as the high carbon content
acts as a kind of built-in lubricant
If you do it, be sure to lubricate the spindle threads well- grease them even
Cast iron absorbs some vibration as well, I am told.

I've had to deal with a lot of stuck chucks that others have left me. It is a real drag. This never happens to me, even though I use steel backplates for some of my chucks. I just follow a few simple rules. Don't turn the lathe on when a chuck is not completely screwed on. Every few weeks if you haven't changed the chuck, just unscrew it to check. Add a few drops of oil to the spindle threads every time you screw on something. Check the thread for chips, and remove all of them. I guess crashing the lathe can get the chuck stuck, but try to avoid that.

If you are in fear of galling use Teflon tape or Teflon past on the threads, either will provide acquitted protection. I am building a chuck adapter for an 8" 3 jaw out of 1045 but it is a D1-4 setup so no threads to fiddle with at the actual lathe interface.

Back