Threading Inserts: 11ER: A60, AG60?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Need to turn some hardened steel and ordered a set of Accusize SCLC toolholders since I've read good things about them. The set has an SER threading tool holder that uses 11ER inserts. I've never done carbide threading before, only HSS. I see the A60 covers a smaller range of pitch, 16-48, and the AG60 covers 8-48. What is the benefit of using the AG60 over the A60? Is the A60 more robust and thusly lasts longer? For steel and stainless is one better than the other? Thanks.

I see the A60 covers a smaller range of pitch, 16-48, and the AG60 covers 8-48. What is the benefit of using the AG60 over the A60?

I saw the alert so it looks like you already saw it but here's that part quoted from that thread. :)

A60 covers 16-48 TPI
AG60 covers 8-48 TPI
G60 covers 8-14 TPI

Those are the most common. There are others that will cover down to 2.75 TPI.

I use 20 TPI quite often so I have full profile inserts for that. But I also use A60 inserts. You might ask why I use A60 if AG60 covers everything A60 can? Since AG60 covers coarser thread, the threading tip is wider & longer. I never need to thread coarse threads but most importantly, the smaller & narrower tip on the A60 allows me to get closer to a shoulder, in a small thread relief, or oring groove.

I have both, I prefer the AG60, covers the widest range and can thread deeper than the A60. The problem you will have is you need a holder that is for the size 16 insert, the 11 size can only be used with the 1/4"IC. I had the size 11 as part of a kit, but it couldn't do deeper threads which I often do. The 3/8" IC is more robust, minor downside is it is a little wider so you cannot thread right against an edge as outlined by Will. I find the Carmex IC's to work very well across a wide range of metals, I also have the Mitsubishi VP15TF inserts that I will try once I wear out the Carmex. You need different inserts for external and internal, right hand and left hand. At some thread extremes a different anvil may be needed under the insert. I get very clean threads with the lay down threading inserts, I use the cross slide with a more rigid lathe. I am still threading with the same Carmex insert that I have done quite a few threads with and still cuts nicely. Much better then some of the other threading tools/inserts I used previously.

I agree with Mark, 11ER(1/4" I.C.) is pretty small for external threading but it really depends on what you work on. I use 16ER (3/8" I.C.) for external threading, the larger insert & tool can still thread small diameters & fine threads if you have the proper insert. I use 11IR for internal threads as most of what I thread internally is not larger than 1.5" & I go down to 1/2"

My threading tools are Carmex & they are the same size & tools I used with my old 8x14 mini lathe. Not sure if the Accusize tools have the ability but keep in mind if you ever need to thread really coarse threads or a different thread form you'll need to change the anvil for the appropiate thread helix angle. I don't think 1/4" I.C. external holders use anvils. But if you never need to thread anything coarse then no worry.

Edit: Oh duh, I guess that's what Mark was pointing out. Looking at the chart he posted AG60 is not available in the 11 (1/4" I.C.) size.

Alright guys, I just cancelled my order. I gotta investigate more tomorrow. Thank you, sirs.

Well, I was not aware that there was a 11ER insert in the AG60 size, but I just found this on eBay.

One advantage of the smaller size insert is the ability to use a smaller internal threading tool. I still would expect the smaller insert to be more fragile. If you do mostly fine threading then you should be fine with the 1/4" insert, but if you plan on doing heavy threading then I would go with the 3/8" insert size. The Carmex (Iscar) threading holders are well made and have a replaceable insert anvil. The inexpensive ones from China often do not have the anvil/nor the correct inclination geometry for the insert.

Last edited:
Full profile lay down inserts are nice to have. Need different inserts for each thread pitch. They are available in 11 ,16 or 22 ir or er.

Back