Thoughts on making a sheet metal brake?

FlyFishn

Registered
Registered
I am contemplating the idea of making a sheet metal brake. I don't know much about bending sheet metal but I have made some small projects (boat console and some other things) with a cheap brake from Harbor Freight. With the gauge metal I made the console out of, for example, the HF brake was too light duty for bends resembling anything of quality/crispness.

So some design considerations that are in my head at the moment are:
- Ability to put more crisp bends in sheet metal
- Ability to clear 5-6' of width
- Ability to bend complex bends (think 5 sides of a box - bottom and 4 sides as well as 90deg Z bends)

Looking at how the HF brake I have works - the mechanism doesn't seem very difficult to replicate. With heavier metal and some design changes the basic function of it (the clamped piece on the fixed table and hinged press plate) is easy to make. However, I am not sure if there is a logical way on that style press to do complex bends. The kind of brake that mounts to an H frame hydraulic press with the piece being pushed in to a V block, to me, makes more sense for being able to make a complex Z bend, but I don't know how crisp a bend could get. The V block would also mar the outside of the bend (the metal pressed against the V block).

As for generating the pressure I have 2 ideas.
1. Bottle jack. I have a 4-8 ton and the one on my hydraulic press could certainly be used as well - its a 20 ton.
2. Lever. This, preferably, would be powered by a bottle jack, but it would be conceivable to use a long bar or a bar with a cheater pipe, but I think a jack would give me more precision/finesse.

Is my idea crazy and off-the-rocker? Or is there any merit to making my own machine? Does anyone that has good experience with sheet metal work have any words of wisdom on the subject?

First off you have to determine the max thickness you may want to bend. The thicker the material the beefier everything has to be. not being an expert on brakes, I would think a finger brake would be the way to go. With fingers of various widths. Enough to cover the entire length of the brake. The fingers will have to be removable and tough, hardened and then annealed.
I'm sure others with more experience will chime it.

A press brake style is the easiest to build, and probably in more common use than is a finger or pan brake. You can put fingers on a press brake for working inside a box.

The V and V-block does not really mar the outside of the bend, the V-block just needs to have rounded top edges. Bends are as crisp as you want, final bend shape is a function of the V and V-block shape, and final force.

I made a small, 6'', press brake out of a 7 ton, electric wood splitter. I also have a 28 ton, 48'' hydraulic press brake, and am in the process of consulting on a 48'', 20 ton all electric CNC press brake. The CNC press brake project started out as a finger brake, but that idea was abandoned in favor of the more conventional press brake style.

Of course there is merit to making your own machine, it's a fun project and can be as simple or as complex as you want.

I bent up these items a few years back with my homemade press brake and dies.
Power seat floor pan sections for a '57 Chrysler 300C.

Attachments

• 300C_floor_pan_008.jpg
    300C_floor_pan_008.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 300C_floor_pan_007.jpg
    300C_floor_pan_007.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 32
  • pans 002.JPG
    pans 002.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 35
Here's a link to a thread about one I built a while ago. This one is adapted from a set of plans for a 12" wide one. The original plans are in post #3.

The kits from swag off road look good and might provide diy ideas :)

Stu

stupoty

I looked at the 20 ton finger brake, The spec indicates it can bend 5/8 plate, I don't believe it.

I thought about building a press brake style brake a couple of years ago, the turn off for me was the cost of material, I should have thought about it when I was employed and had full access to all kinds of left over or scrap steel, if you do have access to inexpensive or scrap metal , think heavy duty and big capacity, make it at least 30" long ,reinforce it enough to be able to bend minimum 16Ga mild steel at full length.
IMHO, every DIYer at some point thinks about a sheet metal brake or wishes to own one .
One option is to buy one from HF on sale and build it up and make it beefier, that is still a fun project and it may cost you ( depending on where you live) less than building it from scratch and pay and arm and a leg for material.

The force needed is a combination of material being bent, length of the bend, material thickness, and V die opening.

Here is a calculator that will give you the required tonnage for the bend.

stupoty

I looked at the 20 ton finger brake, The spec indicates it can bend 5/8 plate, I don't believe it.

Yeah it does seem incredible. I did find a person on you tube using it for quite substantial thicknesses but 2 inch widths.

Looks ok though compared to a lot of cheaper pan brake options, although you have to have a press available to use it with :)

I like the concept of this one but don't like the 1.5mm (1/16th) bending limit.

Stu

Back