Tennsmith Brake & Shear followed me home today!

OldCarGuy

Registered
Registered
New to me Tennsmith 48” 16 Gage Box & Pan Brake and Foot Shear... I was first introduced to Tennsmith equipment over sixty years ago. My Father-in-Law had purchased the same model brake. That I had access to until his passing. I didn't have the foresight to purchase it back then. Rather I relied on others to use their equipment. And always yearned to own the set. But always fell short of purchasing them. At my age I have to wonder does it make good sense? I've spent many years improvising by using power saws to cut the sheets. And clamping the sheet metal between an I-Beam and my big solid steel bench to form a bend. Or use my shaper's 16" vise. Tennsmith is by far not the best equipment out their. But beats most imported Chinese equipment that's flooding the market today. Tennsmith continues to be manufactured in Tennessee for nearly 100 years...

Being tied down in my enclosed trailer.
09D0B5F8-D092-4C69-BFB0-5C4B7D8EC419.jpeg

96C6625F-7D24-4B8B-ACB0-E704BD458C01.jpeg

I'll be moving some of my stash around in one of my garages to make room for the pair in the morning...

Wow, you got all the toys! What kind of sheetmetal projects are you into?

One can never have too many toys. My thinking that the Tennsmith's sure would have made some of my projects a lot easier in the past. And should have purchased them years ago.. Actually have no projects lined up at the time.

Here's a neon sign "Grandpa's Toy Shop" that my family purchased for my garage shop makeover..
EBD15390-35C5-4E03-B5D0-D185AE1B9715.jpeg

One can never have too many toys. My thinking that the Tennsmith's sure would have made some of my projects a lot easier in the past. And should have purchased them years ago.. Actually have no projects lined up at the time.

Here's a neon sign "Grandpa's Toy Shop" that my family purchased for my garage shop makeover..
EBD15390-35C5-4E03-B5D0-D185AE1B9715.jpeg

What is that CNC looking control panel on the left for?

After some moving of other items in my stash to my off site storage garages. I made room for the Tennsmith Brake and Shear..

75620542-4C0F-46E4-99A5-9DFC431C490E.jpeg

8A9654F8-957D-4BA2-BF37-F4905EA2361C.jpeg

Way to clean of a shop. Nice lay out.

Cleanliness is the first step towards order and organization. Can anyone imagine what seven decades of collecting and or upgrading tools and machinery would look like with poor housekeeping? No doubt I have a lot of toys. I have to make good use up every nick and cranny seeing that everything has its' place, A clean shop is the secret ingredient that promotes efficiency, productivity, and a safe working environment. If that doesn't fit the bill. I simply like it that way!

Here's a tool that makes it possible to shoehorn everything in. I built this 4,000 pound capacity bridge crane that covers this 30' by 50' shop.. That not only sets the machines in place. It allows me to move work pieces onto the machines. No need and no room to have a cherry picker of lift truck.

6F92C03C-13C8-48F1-A2F0-DF688915927B.jpeg

I place all my grinding equipment where the grit hit a wall for easier cleaning. And used Sherwin William's Gloss Pre-Catalyzed Water based paint everywhere. That easier to wipe clean..
restore21.jpg

I have about 40 power hand tools, mostly Milwaukee. All stored for easy access..
2DA1C39D-D4F3-452D-8341-C0F1ED586A6D.jpeg

And a fireproof safe to charge and store all the batteries...
safe-2.jpg

Back