STUBBY CHUCK

epanzella

Active User
Registered
A pending shoulder surgery has limited my ability to lift my right arm and made drawbar activities nearly impossible on my mill. I had an old drill chuck with R8 shank kicking around that I hadn't used in years. I turned down the R8 to a stubby 3/4 inch straight shaft so I could stick it in an ER32 collet. This has saved me a ton of tool change time when drilling/tapping, ect.

Attachments

• DSC_2988.JPG
    DSC_2988.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_2990.JPG
    DSC_2990.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 27
I use chucks with both 1/2 and 3/8 arbors. Saves a lot of time over having to change out a R8 arbors.

I'm mostly using R8 toolholders so any project with a lot of tool changed is a good-news-bad-news situation. The bad news is lots of knee cranking. The good news is that I don't have an MT4 spindle because that's even longer than R8.

What are you using with these chucks? I would be ascared to use and end mill? Especially slippery carbide. Or do you use your mill for drilling a lot?

What are you using with these chucks? I would be ascared to use and end mill? Especially slippery carbide. Or do you use your mill for drilling a lot?
I never use an end mill with the stubby chuck. I just pull it out and use the ER32 for end mills. The stubby chuck is for mostly for drilling/tapping.

Reactions: rwm
I guess I lucked out. My Tree mill will only accept "Z" collets. The largest is 3/4 so I have always had stubby 3/4" arbors on everything.

Back