Straightening a Feed Screw (Clausing 8520/25 X axis)

opsoff1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone every have to straighten the feed screw (X axis) on a Clausing 8520 mill?
Tips/ Tricks?

Machine was being moved and some blocking shifted and the whole thing went over (sick to my stomach about it).
Handful of other parts were damaged/broken - trying to pick up the pieces - literally and figuratively...

You can get it close enough with a hyd press. Easy does it, you do have to go a little past straight to allow for spring back, and make sure you have it aligned with center of the bend in both directions . Spot heating, and cooling with a wet rag works very well, but takes some practice to get good results. Mike

I straightened the x-axis on my 8520 a few years ago. It had a slight bend near the middle.

I removed the lead screw and set it up on the mill table between v-blocks and then found the high spot with a dial indicator. I don’t remember how I applied the bending force, I believe I used a c-clamp. I found the attached pic, will see if I have anymore of the bending process.

I am guessing yours is bent closer to the hand cranks so you may have to create a different setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpeg
    IMG_1682.jpeg
    473.3 KB · Views: 14
My 8530 came with a bent y axis lead screw. It was bent right at the bushing in the cross slide....over .100 of deflection. I used a hydraulic vertical press and vee blocks. Bend a little and check it with a dial indicator ....easy does it. Didn't have to use any heat. No big deal really.

The part that bent was the last 4-5" that isn't threaded - hoping I can get it straight.

As measured the shaft for the dial/hand crank etc on the right side had about .090" TIR. I ended up chucking it up in a collet on the lathe and with an acorn nut on the end, I used the flat on the QC tool holder to push the high side over. I had an indicator on the back and used a little heat at the end of the screw where it transitions to the larger smooth diameter. It took the better part of 3 hours - sneaking up on it, remeasure, push rotate remeasure. Finally got it down to sliver over .001" Maybe .0012. I can live with that. There is a LOT of spring in the screw.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back