Steel for a vise handle

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am in the process of restoring a Wilton Vise (model 840, 1951 vintage). I am looking for opinions on the grade of metal to use for the main handle. I need to have reasonable strength and machinability. I will be turning the ends down to accept turned "balls" that will be peened on and polished. I don't believe any welding will be needed on these parts. Once the parts are done they will need some resistance to corrosion, although maybe just a light oil coating will suffice. I have/am considering nickel plating but not sure yet about that. It is something new and fun I do want to try.
So, my choices available on Midwest metals out of Rogers MN are as follows... --->Midwest Metals Rogers, MN<---
1018. BLAH! I hate that stuff, especially when it comes to machining.
12L14- Machines very well but very difficult to weld is my understanding.
8620 - Don't really know anything about this alloy. Any insight would be appreciated.
4140 - Also known as Chrome Moly. I am somewhat familiar with this alloy and is at the top of the list for this project.
Just wanted to run this by you folks to see what your thoughts are.

Also, I have some shafting that linear bearings ran on. They came off of the work stations I bought. Very precision stuff.... --->Work stations<---
My question is.. how does one go about cutting this. I tried my bandsaw and I'm afraid I just dulled the teeth on the bi-metal blade. I chucked a 3/4 diameter piece in my lathe with a carbide insert, and it does turn down but holy cow, the swarf is smoking hot. Actually looked like it could start on fire but the finished cut was pretty good.

4140 HT would be the best choice, and you could partially anneal the ends with a torch where the need to be peened over. 8620 is a case hardening steel, it does not have enough carbon to directly harden, after carburizing and quenching it has a hard outer shell and a tough interior core, good for things like spline shafts and other machine parts such as gears.

I like to use 4140 HT for just about everything that needs to take any kind of load or abuse. I'm usually able to get a good surface finish taking a light finish cut with my lathe running at full speed (in the 1/2-1"-ish diameters I usually work in, anyway).

And I agree w/ @benmychree re: tossing some heat at the ends before peening it.

Super. 4140 it will be then.

On my other question, how does one go about cutting that terribly hard linear shafting? I am at a little bit of a loss as to how to do that, short of buying a carbide tooth bandsaw blade. $$$$$

On my other question, how does one go about cutting that terribly hard linear shafting? I am at a little bit of a loss as to how to do that, short of buying a carbide tooth bandsaw blade. $$$$$

Thompson rod ? You can machine it with carbide with no issues . If just cutting off , FOMOGO is correct . Cut off wheel is the quickest .

Thompson rod, someone sent me one, it did not go well.....:eek 2:

I have a website with a lot of information dedicated to Wilton vises...it seems to be the generally accepted source for the history of Wilton vises thanks to a lot of research from a bunch of people.

I have a buddy who came up with the best jaws, swivel locks and handles for Wilton vises as well. He swears by 1144 CRS and having used a couple of handles he made for me before I bought my first lathe, I can't argue. I'm getting ready to order some 1144 to make a few handles for myself soon. He's a retired tool and die maker who spent years making vise parts and just retired after a full second career. He just sold the business and the new owners aren't making handles yet, but his blog still has all the details:

Back