Spindle bearings question Enco 110-2073

Cashflow

Registered
Registered
Gentlemen:

This is my first post, if it is in the wrong place please move it. I am rebuilding the headstock on my lathe. This question is about the spindle bearings. When I removed the bearing races they were not installed all the way flush against the machined step. I measured the distance from the back of the race to the step which was .206 and I ordered new bearings and today I went to install them. Every bearing on any other job I have ever installed the race was always installed flush against the machined step. So my question being are the races on these spindle bearings supposed to be installed flush against the step or do I need to install them to the same measurement they were when I tore the headstock apart? It doesn’t make sense to me that they weren’t installed flush but since I’ve never done this job before I have to profess my ignorance on this subject. What say you? Flush or not? Thanks in advance to those that have experience with this.

It may be that the factory bored the holes so tight that they found they could only install them so far- so they stopped short
You might want to carefully measure that. You could enlarge the bores slightly with emery cloth on a stick- tedious but doable

You have to expect almost anything on import machinery could be slightly too tight or too loose

Mark, thanks very much for your reply. I hadn’t thought of that, I do know after starting this project that someone (previous owner) has been in here before. I will look things over carefully but at first glance it appears that I can seat the races all the way against the machined steps. If upon trying to install the spindle and it appears not to be a problem with spacing then I will go ahead and seat them all the way.

Normally they should be flush against the shoulder, otherwise the spindle can move during operation. Do as Mark suggested and measure the bore, but since it could go partially in, also see if you can measure the front and back of the hole to see if it has a taper. Another thing to look for is any burrs in the bore. If they damaged the bore by installing the original bearing cocked, it could raise a burr that will prevent the new bearing from going in.

Yeah burrs, definitely check for burrs
If somebody's been in there before- ? Hey Moe! Hey Larry! name that stooge
Idiot
Imbecile
Moron
Not sure if that's in the right order- actually I think moron is the least impaired-
Shemp for president! Of Moronika!

Last edited:
I took some emery cloth and lightly went around the bores, one little tiny nick but not enough to stop them from seating against the step. I also wondered why you would not seat them for the exact reason Mr. 99 said. It looks to me like they could move when setting the tension or even when simply using the machine. The last seal should be here Monday so hopefully I can put this behind me. I need to use this silly thing, not have it taking up space in the middle of the shop floor.

I did learn something today. Apparently the front bore is tapered. The new race will not go in any deeper than the old one. The measurement to the back machined step is the same as the old race .206 and after more investigation if it did go in any farther it would cover up the oiling hole for the bearing.

The back race is a different story however and it moved right on in to be flush with the step and the oil hole is still usable so I guess mystery solved. I do want to thank everyone who replied and it is nice to have a great resource here when I need it. Thanks again everyone!!

Back