Spin Indexer Stuck?

wnchstrtnfldvlle

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Quick question. I purchased this HHIP spin indexer off Amazon, and I think it's stuck fast, but I wanted to check here before I send it back. I have loosened everything I possibly can except for the ring between the collet nut and the alignment plate. Also removed the alignment pin. No luck. Am I missing something here?

614DNGb9xGL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Quick question. I purchased this HHIP spin indexer off Amazon, and I think it's stuck fast, but I wanted to check here before I send it back. I have loosened everything I possibly can except for the ring between the collet nut and the alignment plate. Also removed the alignment pin. No luck. Am I missing something here?
If you pulled the pin out, removed the Aluminum Locking Knob and removed all of the set screws on the rear retaining collar, return for a replacement: There aren't any bearings or bushings in these (until you install some), but you shouldn't have to completely disassemble & clean/repair it to get it to move.

HHIP.jpeg

I was going to recommend the same thing as removing the knurled locking screw to see if there was any galling going on. But before I posted this message I went to the Amazon website and the negative comments say that the item needs to be thoroughly cleaned because it is full of grinding dust. Good Luck.

I think I'll just return it. If I have to work that hard on it right out of the box it's not worth it. I'll just find a different one.

I got my ER32 version (green, not blue) from Penn Tool, but I see they are now selling the HHIP model.

Mine was usable, but I wanted to make it better; The Home Shop Machinist has my article pending publication (they have 12+ month backlog and it was planned for the Sept/Oct issue but the Oct/Nov Machinist’s Workshop had a similar but different article); however, here is a photo of the final result:

ER32 SpinDexer.jpeg

Well,
I decided to follow others’ examples and actually try to work with what I have instead of just returning and buying another. I had to use a dead blow hammer and some aluminum blocks. But I got it apart and was able to clean it up. It rotates perfectly with no discernible play.

Glad it worked out; PM me if you’d like a peek at what I did.

Back