South Bend 9A how to remove gear from forward/reverse lever.

JustBen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,

The recently acquired SB 9A 3.5' bed lathe I have was using grease in the gears and QCGB. I am in the process of removing all the grease and replacing felts as I go. I have the forward and reverse lever out, but am hesitant to be too aggressive in removing the gear pictured. Should I be able to tap the shaft out of the center of the gear to remove? How should this assembly look when together all the way?

1727311766339.png

1727311774907.png

By tapping on the yellow outline arrow area, I believe I have driven out the plug where the red outline arrow is pointing.
1727312013307.png

Obligatory pic of new to me lathe:
1727312067175.png

mine was a bear to get out. It shouldn't be.
I now have a hydraulic press, so that is what I would use now. Pushing on the shaft as you show in yellow.
I think the first time it was heat on the gear and a brass drift and a hammer to drive the shaft out. if you have a press, that's the way to go.
I ran some emery cloth in the bore before reassembling. It was still difficult the second time.

That is indeed a press fit. It "should" just push right out, but mine, having sat there untouched for 75 years, it took a LOT to get started. Then it was fine, normal, what you'd expect. So when you set up to push it out, do take ALL precautions against damaging the threaded end, where you'll be pushing from. It might play nice, but there's every chance you'll need "more force than designed" to get it started, so you want to be ready for that before damage (might) happen, instead of afterwards. While it was apart, I cleaned it with (acetone? Something harsh against old oil?, no abrasives for sure), oiled it before reassembly, and it went together just as it should, just as you'd expect. It's shouldered so the reassembly/clearance distance is predetermined, that part will go fine.

Thank you for the replies. I will be careful with the threaded end. I don't have a press, but will try a little heat and my large vise.

Back