SOO Type Cable Connector Question

Shiseiji

Avid destroyer of many materials.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a new Dayton drum switch to wire up to a new motor on a Clausing 85XX machine. The wire connections I understand. My "issue" is the 1/2" knock outs are so close to the terminal blocks that only a standard fitting nut will fit inside the switch housing, not the larger plastic nut found on the nylon cord grips.
The max diameter cable a typical 1/2" trade size cable clamp will take is ~.31" A typical SOO type cord is ~ .517" diameter. A 3/4" trade size clamp usually works just fine.

I would like the installation to look reasonably neat. There are other commercial options available, a 1/2" "Chinese finger" strain relief will accommodate the .517" cable. $17 USD a pop and they have the 7" tail. I found some other cable clamps, but by the box.

1/2" flex will work from the motor to the switch, running it from the bottom of the switch will require a fair amount of slack to connect to the motor.
Another option is to use 1/2" pvc at the switch, enlarge it to 3/4" and then use the 3/4" cable clamp.

Ideas/suggestions?

TIA

This is the kind I use for those applications you can adjust the outer nut so the inner toothed nut just has enough to grab. I have replaced the rubber compression bushing with some tight wraps of electrical tape when the cord diameter is too large. Otherwise you could enlarge the ½"knockout to ¾ with a step bit or punch.

5141127693.jpg

Take your switch and cord to a well stocked hardware or electrical supply.

Preferably one with sharp staff!

There is likely an off the shelf product in stock.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

This is the kind I use for those applications you can adjust the outer nut so the inner toothed nut just has enough to grab. I have replaced the rubber compression bushing with some tight wraps of electrical tape when the cord diameter is too large. Otherwise you could enlarge the ½"knockout to ¾ with a step bit or punch.

View attachment 503027
Thanks. There is no space in the base of the switch to enlarge the hole. They are both right up against the terminal boards.

Take your switch and cord to a well stocked hardware or electrical supply.

Preferably one with sharp staff!

There is likely an off the shelf product in stock.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
40 mile round trip, and so far they have been both helpful and good. Have one scheduled next week if it comes to that.

I have a new Dayton drum switch to wire up to a new motor on a Clausing 85XX machine. The wire connections I understand. My "issue" is the 1/2" knock outs are so close to the terminal blocks that only a standard fitting nut will fit inside the switch housing, not the larger plastic nut found on the nylon cord grips.
The max diameter cable a typical 1/2" trade size cable clamp will take is ~.31" A typical SOO type cord is ~ .517" diameter. A 3/4" trade size clamp usually works just fine.

I would like the installation to look reasonably neat. There are other commercial options available, a 1/2" "Chinese finger" strain relief will accommodate the .517" cable. $17 USD a pop and they have the 7" tail. I found some other cable clamps, but by the box.

1/2" flex will work from the motor to the switch, running it from the bottom of the switch will require a fair amount of slack to connect to the motor.
Another option is to use 1/2" pvc at the switch, enlarge it to 3/4" and then use the 3/4" cable clamp.

Ideas/suggestions?

TIA
Take a look at the aluminum submersible cord grips from McMaster. I've used them for 3/4" cord in a 1/2" knock out.

Take a look at the aluminum submersible cord grips from McMaster. I've used them for 1" cord in a 1/2" knock out.

Thanks! Am literally looking over their grips now trying to find the connector to match the nut and seal. And here it is! And no seal nut required.

Aluminum Submersible Cord Grip​

for 0.500"- 0.560" Cord OD, 1/2 Knockout Trade Size​

Thank you!

Take a look at the aluminum submersible cord grips from McMaster. I've used them for 3/4" cord in a 1/2" knock out.

Those are quite nice thanks for the link!

Back