So how bout Microscopes ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a few here . Have not a clue about them . Are they junk these days . I know they're binocular and have maybe 4 lenses in each . Anything you can do with the lens ? Loupes ?

Nikon Labophot-2A
Swift M29 ZT Trinocular Zoom System with a camera up top ? :dunno:
Some un-knownium thing with Nikon whatevers they are .

I'm packing these up after taking some better pictures and loading onto the bay next week . I can't say if they work or not other than they light up when powered up . Being I missed Biology class that day in school , they'll be listed for parts starting at .99 .

Attachments

• IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1959.JPG
    IMG_1959.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 25
That's life. I recently got a nice mechanical scale, made in Western Germany, for free. It's kind of obsolete compared to a digital scale you can purchase on Aliexpress.

I just can't see a use for one , or 3 for that matter ! :grin: ( no pun intended )

I love mine that are like those binocular type. An electronics guy was going outta biz and picked it up for $35. I use mine for inspecting the cutting edges of all my endmills, lathe bits and carbide cutters. Way better than a loupe mainly because the built in light. Yeah, don’t use it everyday but when I want to REALLY see why some cutter is acting weird( like brand new ones!) that tells me exactly what’s going on. Also helped with critiquing my regrinds. Excellent tool IMHO.

Sorry, Dave: I bought a refurbished AO monocular biological microscope from the guy that maintained the ‘scopes at the labs at Hershey back in the 80’s with the hope that my daughter would have some interest in science. No luck with her or her two kids, so it sits in a nice wooden case at the back of one of my shelves.

I bought one for the shop and use it a lot. Can’t read the lasered labels on threading taps without them. And faint numbers on capacitors, etc. Bought it for $50 off Marketplace. Wish it was better quality, but would not be without one. Also great to ID bugs. And read head stamps on cartridges.

Might donate to a preschool. I used to go to the one where my wife worked and let the kids see bugs close up with my work model. At that age they were mesmerized.

No luck with her or her two kids, so it sits in a nice wooden case at the back of one of my shelves.
These 3 have taken up residence in my bedroom for 2 years now ! :cussing:I've got a lot of large boxes from moving the daughter so now is the time .

I love mine that are like those binocular type. An electronics guy was going outta biz and picked it up for $35. I use mine for inspecting the cutting edges of all my endmills, lathe bits and carbide cutters
I guess I just don't know how to use them , but I probably wouldn't even if I did . :dunno:

Might be interested in one myself. Trying to remember the brands. Meijer is the best I think. Got a friend who grows strawberries who might be interested in a stereo one to find his 2 spotted spider mites. Had one at work with bayonet mount( camera attachment, requires a special camera lens).

I just can't see a use for one , or 3 for that matter ! :grin: ( no pun intended )

I bought a tri-nocular one like the ones we used at work, and then added a nice USB camera from ebay.
The expected main use was for surface-mount soldering, the binocular vision gives great depth for holding parts with tweezers and soldering.
The actual main use has turned out to be getting metal slivers out of my hands!

Brian

Back