Small carriage stop refurb

Eyerelief

Registered
Registered
Found this little gem in a box of lathe tooling for my old Victor 1640. It was rusted over and froze. I put it in the parts washer overnight, which enabled me to disassemble it. A little more soaking and wire brushing and it cleaned up pretty good. Painted it up and hung it. Works smooth now. Will make a new friction lock or re-knurl since it looks like this one was obviously being asked to work well beyond its capabilities.
IMG_8116.jpg

I bet that entire corner could be rebuilt with JB-Weld and re-tapped and no (but us here) would know!
-brino

I bet that entire corner could be rebuilt with JB-Weld and re-tapped and no (but us here) would know!
-brino
Excellent idea! I am assuming that the screw that was in that corner was to put a little pressure on the bronze bushing, because the hole stopped at the bushing. I'll try it!

Found this little gem in a box of lathe tooling for my old Victor 1640. It was rusted over and froze. I put it in the parts washer overnight, which enabled me to disassemble it. A little more soaking and wire brushing and it cleaned up pretty good. Painted it up and hung it. Works smooth now. Will make a new friction lock or re-knurl since it looks like this one was obviously being asked to work well beyond its capabilities.
View attachment 385511
I know this is an old post, but any chance I could get you to take a couple of measurements off that for me? My Victor 1640 didn't come with a micrometer carriage stop, and I've got my eye on a couple that might work from similar machines. I'd love to know the height from the top of the V for the ways and the width from the ledge that contacts the side of the ways to the inside of the MCS if you get a couple of free minutes. I'm not looking for exact, just ballpark so I can weed out those that are completely wrong and focus on the ones I might be able to tweak a bit.

I know this is an old post, but any chance I could get you to take a couple of measurements off that for me? My Victor 1640 didn't come with a micrometer carriage stop, and I've got my eye on a couple that might work from similar machines. I'd love to know the height from the top of the V for the ways and the width from the ledge that contacts the side of the ways to the inside of the MCS if you get a couple of free minutes. I'm not looking for exact, just ballpark so I can weed out those that are completely wrong and focus on the ones I might be able to tweak a bit.
I sure will.

All dim's are in inches

Let me know what else you need
Carriage Stop.jpg

All dim's are in inches

Thanks....I really appreciate it! That was more than enough. The most likely candidate I found is nearly identical in form, but has the friction lock in a different place. They didn't have great dimensions, but enough to know it's at least 1/2 to 3/4" shorter overall than yours, so I'm guessing it's for a 14" machine from one of the other similar brands....Webb, Yuasa, etc.

I have a working MCS on it now but it locks to the bottom of the ways differently (tightening wants to slightly twist the body) and has less Z travel than I'd like. I'm going to keep my eye out for a better fit, but in the meantime I'm probably going to make a plunger/ram (whatever they call it) that's maybe 1/2" longer so there's more Z travel.

All dim's are in inches

My nightly eBay searches turned up a factory carriage stop, minus the locking thumb screw and the bottom clamp. I've already removed the awful second coat of paint and will fab up a new thumb screw and bottom clamp soon.

IMG_6519.JPG

My nightly eBay searches turned up a factory carriage stop, minus the locking thumb screw and the bottom clamp. I've already removed the awful second coat of paint and will fab up a new thumb screw and bottom clamp soon.

View attachment 503509
Congratulations, In my book you found a unicorn! The little brass thumb screw will be easy to make. Mine is a mess as well. Good work!

Back