Single point threading on mini lathe

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
Here's what I'm doing...

First some history...
I have a HUGE problem with raccoons in my yard due to a large sprawling park less than a 800 feet from my house. They deficate on my pool deck, go for late night swims in my pool, tear up my solar cover, tear up my lawn looking for grubs, eat my vegetables and do other things that raccoons do. Quite annoying.
I have tried everything imaginable and other suggestions through advise like cayenne pepper, mothballs, mint, and other solutions recommended by nature enthusiasts but the only thing that has worked is motion sensor sprinklers.

I have run a dedicated water line around my yard with taps at strategic locations where I setup these devices and control them globally with a water timer, on at 10PM, off at 6 AM. However, these devises are designed to cover a large area, like a lawn not a 10-12' x 25' pool deck and they spray high and far.

So, I have endeavored to make a more suitable 'sprinkler' or 'water application device' triggered by the motion sensor of these devices, that keeps the stream low and confined. (Neighbors complained about sudden streams of water coming over their my fence during their late night parties. Sheesh!) To do this I had to determine the thread used to hold a sprinkler head which is 25/32" - 14 (to my best measurement) which means I need to SP it.

Now here's the reason for this post....
When I set up my mini lathe to cut the appropriate TPI after turning the correct diameter and set the compound to the traditional 29.5 degrees, cross slide to zero after touching off, thread cutting tool bit mounted and set correctly, everything looked good on the scratch pass but, when completed, the threads had a saw-tooth shape rather than the nice V that I was expecting.

What did I do wrong?

PS: apologizes for the long story but the wife found it very funny so I thought you would too.

Michael.

Hello,
It sounds like the cutter is not perpendicular to the work.
Can you post an over head shot of your setup?

Hi,
Here's what I'm doing...

First some history...
I have a HUGE problem with raccoons in my yard due to a large sprawling park less than a 800 feet from my house. They deficate on my pool deck, go for late night swims in my pool, tear up my solar cover, tear up my lawn looking for grubs, eat my vegetables and do other things that raccoons do. Quite annoying.
I have tried everything imaginable and other suggestions through advise like cayenne pepper, mothballs, mint, and other solutions recommended by nature enthusiasts but the only thing that has worked is motion sensor sprinklers.

I have run a dedicated water line around my yard with taps at strategic locations where I setup these devices and control them globally with a water timer, on at 10PM, off at 6 AM. However, these devises are designed to cover a large area, like a lawn not a 10-12' x 25' pool deck and they spray high and far.

So, I have endeavored to make a more suitable 'sprinkler' or 'water application device' triggered by the motion sensor of these devices, that keeps the stream low and confined. (Neighbors complained about sudden streams of water coming over their my fence during their late night parties. Sheesh!) To do this I had to determine the thread used to hold a sprinkler head which is 25/32" - 14 (to my best measurement) which means I need to SP it.

Now here's the reason for this post....
When I set up my mini lathe to cut the appropriate TPI after turning the correct diameter and set the compound to the traditional 29.5 degrees, cross slide to zero after touching off, thread cutting tool bit mounted and set correctly, everything looked good on the scratch pass but, when completed, the threads had a saw-tooth shape rather than the nice V that I was expecting.

What did I do wrong?

PS: apologizes for the long story but the wife found it very funny so I thought you would too.

Michael.
Do you have a pic of your setup?
Sound like your 29.5 degree setting may have been the incorrect orientation.

I thought sprinkler heads used a standard tapered pipe thread like 3/8" or 1/2" ?
Why the need to cut a thread?

I am also interested in this as I want to learn single point threading on the lathe. Pls post photos of the setup as already suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Images 1 & 2 are as requested...
Image 3 is the sprinkler head and the thread I'm trying to cut is circled.
Image 4 shows the saw tooth thread.

PS: I really appreciate the quick responses.

Attachments

• 20240706_192153.jpg
    20240706_192153.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240706_192125.jpg
    20240706_192125.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240706_192047.jpg
    20240706_192047.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240706_192025.jpg
    20240706_192025.jpg
    983.2 KB · Views: 38
Yup the compound is set at the incorrect angle relative to the work.
If you can imagine the correct thread profile on the stock, line up the compound so that it is parallel to the right side of the thread profile when viewed from above.
a598a89d8f73378e7177f5e7e98ab192.jpg

Back