Silver soldering.........

mofosheee

Registered
Registered
Hello Forum

It's me again with another stupid question.

Using 1/16'' chrome moly round pipe and a slip fit joint with immaculately cleaned parts, flux, proper rod, ox/acetylene ............Is it possible to obtain the result of where the filler rod disappears into the joint as I am able to do with silver solder or soldering copper pipe.

Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks

Do the same as soldering copper pipe . The capillary action will suck the silver in to the joint and leave a small ring around the joint. Just don't use too much silver solder, it won't take very much.
And lots of good flux ;)

Do the same as soldering copper pipe . The capillary action will suck the silver in to the joint and leave a small ring around the joint. Just don't use too much silver solder, it won't take very much.
Will capillary action occur if I were to braze? Thanks

Using silver filler rod is still brazing, not soldering, if you use silver brazing filler. I use 40% silver if the gaps are a bit bigger and 56% for tighter fitups. Properly done, silver brazed joints are stronger than than the parent metal, i.e. if you stress it to failure, it'll be the steel that fails, not the braze.

Silver soldering is done at lower temperature than brazing and with lower silver content filler. It makes a weaker joint, so it's not suitable for highly stressed applications.

Silver and brass brazing both will penetrate by capillary action, but brass needs a bit looser fit (more clearance).

The main reasons to use brass over silver are (1) cost of the filler and (2) brass is more tolerant of dirt, corrosion etc. Or maybe I should say brass flux is more capable of lifting/dissolving those impurities allowing the brass to flow and bond.

The main reasons to use silver over brass are (1) lower temperature, often worthwhile due to a smaller heat-affected zone, and less warping/distortion that can happen when you heat steel especially in thin sections, and (2) silver can wet out on stainless, which brass does only reluctantly. Brass braze on SS is likely to make a weak bond if it flows at all.

One cool option with silver is powdered filler mixed with paste flux, that you can paint on the parts before assembly. Then just heat until all the silver melts and flows.

Hello Forum

It's me again with another stupid question.

Using 1/16'' chrome moly round pipe and a slip fit joint with immaculately cleaned parts, flux, proper rod, ox/acetylene ............Is it possible to obtain the result of where the filler rod disappears into the joint as I am able to do with silver solder or soldering copper pipe.

Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks

Assuming the slip fit is just a few thousands, I'd use 56% silver brazing rod, and a suitable flux. Lower temperature "solder" is for water pipe type joints, and, presumably, you wouldn't be using be using Chromoly for a low strength joint.

Back