Shop Progress

NegativeK

Registered
Registered
I've finally committed to some larger changes in my shop. This thread will keep track of that progress, as well as work done on the machines.

I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago, and Ebay alerted me that a lathe was for sale near home. Despite being a large city, we've never had a manufacturing base -- so I basically had to jump on the opportunity, buy something new, or eventually drive more than 200 miles through mountain ranges to one of the nearby cities.

1000004424.jpg

The lathe in question, loaded and waiting. The move was actually pretty pleasant -- but more about that later.

I wasn't totally committed to a shop reorg when I bought the lathe, so it still had to fit in the garage with two cars. Thankfully the British shared their experience with cramped spaces.

1000004441.jpg

This whole peripheral garage shop journey began when I was laying in bed one morning, doing basic trigonometry. At that point I really just had a workbench -- but I had the realization that a knee mill might actually fit in the corner.

1000002146.jpg

Maybe?

1000002144.jpg

Definitely.

But since this specific post is about the shop reorg...

The biggest roadblock is that I need to charge my car, and the 50A outlet wasn't close enough for the charging cable to get outside. So I'd have to buy a charger with a longer cable and move the outlet. Fortunately that just meant removing a section of conduit. Unfortunately I'd have to move a bunch of disorganized stuff.

1000004512.jpg

Disorganized stuff, getting more disorganized.

The outlet was moved and wasn't that much of a job. It just took time to drag things around. And since it's still Hawtumn here, I'm up before dawn on the weekends and am generally suffering by 10am.

1000004546.jpg

But sometimes the sunrise is amazing.

One of the upsides to the lathe is that it came on a workbench heavier than it and casters that can convert to rubber leveling feet. Makes being indecisive way more pleasant.

But eventually I got things mostly organized and the tools laid out. For now.

1000004555.jpg

There's a couple of high priority projects that I need to tackle, and they'll be in this thread.

The lathe and the mill need power completed -- no more "temporary" solutions. The rest of those parts are on the way.

The lighting is terrible, and I need cabinets. Spamming LED fixtures should be easy. Cabinets will be harder. I have access to a CNC router at the makerspace, but I really dislike woodworking. Probably because it's scary and I'm terrible at it.

I'm also pretty sporadic about shop time. Too many hobbies, so this thread might be dormant for long chunks of time.

But hopefully I'll post stuff about progress!

Last edited:
Either my eyes decieve me, or that little lathe is a Myford 7.

Re "shop setup".... Don't rush it, work out what is best for you and the layout will follow.
It's a Super 7 and it has the Norton gearbox too.

I suspect in the States, with heaps of Atlas and South Bend lathes about, Myford owners are a bit more sensible about the price they expect to sell their ML7s or Super 7s for, even with a QCGB.

@NegativeK you have yourself a very nice English lathe there. Myford lathes are very well built and for their size, really quite rigid. :):encourage:

The only notable downsides to it, will be the spindle bore size (19/32", just over 15mm) and possibly the 7" swing (or 3.5" as us English put it). Oh, and possibly the oilers being a PITA; most Myford owners complain about those.

I've only had about an hour's play on an ML7 and I did enjoy the feeling of quality from it. I'll grant I enjoyed my play on the Boxford 'A' a little more (colleague's father and grandfather have both in their workshop) but I suspect that was due to the parsimonious bore size of the ML7 being stuck in my head and the novelty (to me) of the Boxford's power cross feed.

If you want to learn more about Myford (and lots of other older machine from all over the world), Tony Griffith's Lathes.co.uk site is a great (albeit clunky) place to start: https://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/index.html

The site not very well optimised for mobile so is best viewed on a PC/laptop rather than a phone or tablet. It is, as I indicated, rather old fashioned and clunky but it's a gold mine of information. Be warned, you can lose an evening just 'surfing' Tony's website.

He also will, for a rather exorbitant amount in my opinion, sell you what amounts to a photocopy of the manual for your Myford (I forgive him his prices though as he does provide a valuable archive of information on his website gratis to anyone who can overlook the godawful website design!:grin:). He has manuals for most machines, all mostly priced the same, no matter how sparse the information in the manual is.

Most Myford owners tend to look after everything that came with their pride and joy, so I suspect you already have the manual though.

He also sells some machine spare parts too. I don't know how good those parts are, or how good the value for money is as opposed to getting them elsewhere but you might find it useful, since Myfords are probably quite rare in the States.

Myford made other machines too, including a VMC mill and I think a shaper. Maybe you should sell your existing mill and look to get yourself a matching set! :grin:

Last edited:
Hey, if you’re going to give us the inch/metric equivalents, could also dumb down the big English for us?

ETA: Nice score OP. Didn’t think any of those made it over here.

@RaisedByWolves

You would be surprised at just how many places in the world they did actually end up!

As to "Parsimoniious"....

One definition... (Cambridge Dictionary)

parsimonious

adjective

formal

uk
/ˌpɑː.sɪˈməʊ.ni.əs/ us
/ˌpɑːr.səˈmoʊ.ni.əs/

not willing to spend money or use a lot of something:

She's too parsimonious to heat the house properly.

I had to be a little parsimonious with the fresh thyme.

I think that politicians are often parsimonious with the (= do not tell the complete) truth.
small in size or amount:

The company produced figures ahead of expectations but spoiled it with a parsimonious 2.5% dividend increase.

A second definition (Merriam Webster)

parsimonious
adjective

par·si·mo·ni·ous ˌ

pär-sə-ˈmō-nē-əs
Synonyms of parsimonious

1: exhibiting or marked by parsimony especially : frugal to the point of stinginess

2: sparing, restrained parsimoniously adverb

Last edited:
Hey, if you’re going to give us the inch/metric equivalents, could also dumb down the big English for us?

ETA: Nice score OP. Didn’t think any of those made it over here.
Sorry, I have a fondness for the more flowery English that has kind of turned into a reflexive habit.

Still, there is Google you know? :big grin: :p

I was joking, I know its a type of fruit.
:grin:

You know, you're rather witty in an almost English way. ;)

I wasn't entirely joking with my apology, though ;). I'm aware I can sound like a pretentious bell-end but it's like an addiction; I just find it immensely gratifying to see these kinds of words.:oops:

Eh...a man is who he is. :)

I've finally committed to some larger changes in my shop. This thread will keep track of that progress, as well as work done on the machines.

I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago, and Ebay alerted me that a lathe was for sale near home. Despite being a large city, we've never had a manufacturing base -- so I basically had to jump on the opportunity, buy something new, or eventually drive more than 200 miles through mountain ranges to one of the nearby cities.

View attachment 504136

The lathe in question, loaded and waiting. The move was actually pretty pleasant -- but more about that later.

I wasn't totally committed to a shop reorg when I bought the lathe, so it still had to fit in the garage with two cars. Thankfully the British shared their experience with cramped spaces.

View attachment 504137

This whole peripheral garage shop journey began when I was laying in bed one morning, doing basic trigonometry. At that point I really just had a workbench -- but I had the realization that a knee mill might actually fit in the corner.

View attachment 504138

Maybe?

View attachment 504139

Definitely.

But since this specific post is about the shop reorg...

The biggest roadblock is that I need to charge my car, and the 50A outlet wasn't close enough for the charging cable to get outside. So I'd have to buy a charger with a longer cable and move the outlet. Fortunately that just meant removing a section of conduit. Unfortunately I'd have to move a bunch of disorganized stuff.

View attachment 504140

Disorganized stuff, getting more disorganized.

The outlet was moved and wasn't that much of a job. It just took time to drag things around. And since it's still Hawtumn here, I'm up before dawn on the weekends and am generally suffering by 10am.

View attachment 504141

But sometimes the sunrise is amazing.

One of the upsides to the lathe is that it came on a workbench heavier than it and casters that can convert to rubber leveling feet. Makes being indecisive way more pleasant.

But eventually I got things mostly organized and the tools laid out. For now.

View attachment 504142

There's a couple of high priority projects that I need to tackle, and they'll be in this thread.

The lathe and the mill need power completed -- no more "temporary" solutions. The rest of those parts are on the way.

The lighting is terrible, and I need cabinets. Spamming LED fixtures should be easy. Cabinets will be harder. I have access to a CNC router at the makerspace, but I really dislike woodworking. Probably because it's scary and I'm terrible at it.

I'm also pretty sporadic about shop time. Too many hobbies, so this thread might be dormant for long chunks of time.

But hopefully I'll post stuff about progress!
What's that big red thing in the middle of your shop?
It's taking up valuable space :)

Back