Sherline DRO reads opposite of Dials

Forty Niner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
For you Sherline lathe and Mill users with Sherline DRO

I have Sherline installed DRO on my mill and lathe.

The DRO reads opposite of the dial.
When, for example,
The hand dial on the mill "X" axis is turned Clockwise,
the mill table moves to the operators left
the DIAL readings increase
The DRO readings decrease.

This must be something to do with conventions, but I don't like it and am going to change it.
Sherline provides information on how to change the DRO readings direction by unsoldering and swapping the green and black wires on the encoder. Instead of doing it that way I am thinking that I will just cut off the RJ9/RJ22 plug connector and install a new one but swap the green and black wires there.

Anybody made the switch so the dials and the DRO read the same?

The Y axis and the Z axis are similar. I will change all of them to match the dials.

The Y axis and the Z axis are similar. I will change all of them to match the dials.

Just make sure that the actual “+” movements for the spindle per the diagram in my linked thread matched the dials.

In manufacturing, and especially using CNC machines, your suggestion that the standard coordinate system be used is beneficial. On my manual little hobby mill I just want the dials and the DRO to read the same. DRO readings were easy to change but the dials are not.
Now that I have made the wiring changes, the dials and the DRO read the same. Period.

Last edited:
Back