Sheet Metal Shear

CJ5Dave

Registered
Registered
Has anybody used one of these? Probably in the Harbor Freight thread but don’t know how to search in a thread. There is also one of these scissor type tha chucks in the drill. I have one of the roller ones hat chucks up but it is junk. I need to occasionally cut roofing metal. Gotta build a deer shooting house this month. I have an air nibbler that will do some of it, can use an abrasive blade but that’s torture.

Has anybody used one of these?

Never that particular one, but the style. They're kinda good. There's two "shear points" there, the roll up a little curl of metal, the edges stay good (good for fresh cut tin...), and they're very handy.

The brand concerns me. It relies on hardened, precision ground cutting edges (kinda like scissors) that have to be good enough to survive however much tin you're cutting. I can say that if you have never used one, at the price of good ones, the version you linked to, at that price point, would be an EXCELLENT way to figure out if that TYPE of cutter is good for what you're doing. I can guarantee you that it is not the price that a good setup costs.

Probably in the Harbor Freight thread but don’t know how to search in a thread.

Go to the Harbor Freight thread. From the top(ish) of the page, over by your name and notifications, click the search box. In the top row, the search field (where you enter text), look right, it should say "Everywhere". Click that and look down to "this thread", and it will search "this thread".

here is also one of these scissor type tha chucks in the drill.

I don't care for any cutters (or most anything) that chucks into a drill to convert it to another tool. In the case of shears, that's not the answer. They're not steady, or they take two hands so the work isn't steady. The one you linked to which is built onto the drill, that's by far the better choice.

I have an older model of those shears. It works just fine. Two things. A friend of mine told me to put a drop of oil on the cutting blades now and then. It makes a lot of difference. Two, don't cut stainless steel. you'll break the blades. :face slap: I gave myself a dope slap when I did that one time. However, the last that I check, you can still get replacement blades at HF.

This didn't cross my mind when I posted a few minutes ago. You said "roofing". One "heads up" for you- No cutter besides abrasives is "great" at this, but the shears you linked to, they will argue with you to no end when cutting across the ridges. Long ways, great. But they don't cut across "shapes" very well at all.

I had the older version of these and it worked fine for my use. Never tried it on roofing material but probably worth a try.

John

This current job won’t be across ridges. I do cut across them with abrasive blades. I have a steel blade somewhere for sheet metal. It kinda burns it through.

Back