Seneca Falls Lathe (Portland OR)

Yes, overpriced, hard to put a price, not knowing what tooling may be included, but I'd think that about $1200 would be more like it; a plus is that its original countershaft is still with it.

Depending on condition it might be a decent machine. However given what they are and what they can do I think it's way overpriced. The speeds are only a fraction of what todays machines can do, and they're not nearly as rigid. Most have an extremely small bore through the headstock, and if you're lucky enough to find collets for them they too are limited in size. The Star #20 has a maximum collet diameter of 9/16"

I have a 1916 Seneca Falls Star #20 machine (10x60). It's great for what it can do, but certainly limited by today's standards. Unless you're a collector I think you can find more useable, newer iron for the same price or less. Mine was originally used in a prototype shop at a vending machine company. My wife's grandfather used it for over 40 years. When he retired it was given to him as a retirement present. It's complete with all the standard features it came with from the factory. Those features include a full set of collets, 3 chucks, tool post, steady rest, follow rest, large and small face plates, all the change gears, a crotch center and a screw chuck.

As most of most machines of that era it is powered by a line haft. Mine is now powered by a 1 hp electric motor. The one in the picture, like mine is a K series, bench top machine. They were originally sold as 9" machines even though they had a throw of slightly over 10". The later models were advertised as 10" models.

Here are a couple pictures of my machine:

DSCF8081A.jpgDSCF8082A.jpg

Just to be clear, I have no intention of buying. Just posted because I thought you guys would be interested.

projectnut, you have a nice setup there.

I can agree on pricing, my 9" Star cost me $300. Nice old machines but definitely limited in what they can do.

MY9_inchStar.jpeg

Nice museum piece but I can't imagine changing speeds with the overhead shaft system....

I do hope somebody buys it though and preserves the line shaft system just so folks can see how it was done "back in the day".

John

Back