Select Machine Tool Lathe - $1500 (sonoma, CA)

I seem to remember there was a town in China named USA. There is also a thing on eBay where they have USA dealers and it made in China. So you just see USA and assume its made in USA. Getting tricker all the time. Cracks me up when I saw a guy selling one of the many HF knockoffs saying no Chinese junk On CL. Don’t know if they’re ignorant or misleading.

I seem to remember there was a town in China named USA. There is also a thing on eBay where they have USA dealers and it made in China. So you just see USA and assume its made in USA. Getting tricker all the time. Cracks me up when I saw a guy selling one of the many HF knockoffs saying no Chinese junk On CL. Don’t know if they’re ignorant or misleading.

I was an expat in China for 4 years, do not recall a USA, China. Maybe if you can point it out, I would be interested. I also spent many months in Japan, I know there is one there.

Screenshot_20200522-195144_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
The Japanese were the ones that originated the city of USA for export marketing.

Nope.

There have been false claims that products made in this town and exported to the US in the 1960s carried the label "MADE IN USA", for it to appear as if the product was made in the United States.[2]

John

I've heard of this city named USA in China before also but I have also heard it's not actually true, just a myth or whatever. But then again..... :dunno:

usa-china.jpg

I suppose I'd rather have made in China than made in Chian. Some blow gun nozzles I bought. :D

20161222_191511.jpg

Admittedly that coulda got stuck in my memory sideways, sorry. I am in no way a China basher. Probably 90% of what’s in my shop is made in China and Taiwan. But I know more intimately music equipment than machine tools and I’m pretty sure matthewsx can back me on this. Years ago a big music store chain had to quit selling Oktava Russian made microphones because they got flooded with Chinese made knockoffs that it took someone very familiar with Oktava to know the real from the fake. Same with Shure SM57 and 58s. Same with D’Addario strings and same with Shubb capo’s.

I happened upon a book Made in China..Poorly. Written by a guy who was a kinda broker between East and West and it was a fascinating behind the scenes look at having things made in China. He might have mentioned that myth in there, dunno. And it’s very apparent they are very motivated to make whatever sells the best. They are very quick learners and are a very old culture who knows all about making deals. I don’t begrudge them making stuff I can afford but I definitely draw the line at patent infringement and total knockoffs that says made in USA, or Russia or wherever. But we are tricked all the time buying a name brand that we grew up with and not until you read the super fine print do you find out it was offshored.

This one actually looks like a nice little lathe, if it hangs around long enough I might check it out....

I'm also pretty familiar with pro audio having been a sound engineer for the better part of 35 years. I'm amazed you can buy "genuine" Shure SM58's for half what they cost 30 years ago. Last year I had to buy a few mics and went with 57 and 58 clones, compared quite favorably to my older originals and for a fraction of the cost.

I am partial to good used stuff though. And anyone who thinks they're gonna out negotiate the Chinese is kidding themselves, they are the original traders going back to the silk road before even Jesus....

John

Back