Sanctuary of Truth (Hey - there's a lathe!)

hotrats

andy harwood
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
We've been visiting Pattaya and even living here for a while but never visited the "Sanctuary of Truth". Today was the day. I was impressed. Check out the size of the wood carvings and the 'lathe'.

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 58
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 52
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 57
Building started in 1981, all wood, no nails used. Some of the flooring boards were over 2 ft wide

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 17
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 15
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 23
That is some amazing work, but I wonder as you are going through, if it becomes carving overload. After a while you get overloaded even looking. I fully appreciate the work though.

That’s impressive. The vision of the project, the fact that there’s enough talented people to execute it, and they could be drawn together is amazing. With the climate in Thailand and proximity to the sea, I wonder what they use to preserve the wood. Teak was mentioned, which may help. The Orkin man must be pretty busy as well.

That’s impressive. The vision of the project, the fact that there’s enough talented people to execute it, and they could be drawn together is amazing. With the climate in Thailand and proximity to the sea, I wonder what they use to preserve the wood. Teak was mentioned, which may help. The Orkin man must be pretty busy as well.
teak is super hard to carve. There's so much silica in the wood it dulls tools quickly. it's also pretty dense.. in wwii they used it for decks on subs, so that if the sub was hit closely by a depth charge the deck would not float to the surface and give up their position.

The man who started this also started the Erawan Museum in Bangkok and a Ancient City attraction, further out of Bangkok. It was said types of wood used are Mai Deang, Mai Takien, Mai Panchaat, and Teak wood. Some areas of the building you can see that it's been sprayed, others weathered. I didn't see any preserving supplies. As you can see, it's a on going project as the wood does need replacing with age. Don't know the annual number of visitors, but there were quite a few while we were there. At $15 each entry, I'm sure goes a ways towards upkeep

That is some amazing work, but I wonder as you are going through, if it becomes carving overload. After a while you get overloaded even looking. I fully appreciate the work though.
Yes It is much to look at. Today, I will say my neck is sore from looking up.

Back