Saluti da Roma Italia

OldCarGuy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
As you may be able to tell I landed in Rome Italy two days ago. Although I’ve vacationed here four times in the past. This week I’m here on a mission of checking off an item on my bucket list. First off I’m traveling with my second youngest daughter that’s head over heels in Love with Italy. She studied a year abroad and learned the language, the culture and all. In fact she got married in beautiful Ravello Italy ten years ago. And spends three months a year in Italy. Because my grandfather was born and raised nearby she applied and has dual citizenship of American and Italian. We will be traveling to the area where my grandfather was born and raised to learn his roots…

So far we are enjoying the sights, sounds, and food, particularly the Gelato! It can be found on every corner… The main attractions in Rome are being restored for the Jubilee in 2025. Hence many fountains etc are covered with scaffolding and tarps..
Here’s Trevi Fountain..
IMG_5860.jpeg

IMG_5870.jpeg
View from top my hotel
IMG_5887.jpeg

IMG_5886.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg
Outside from top and inside the Vatican. .
IMG_5879.jpeg
IMG_5898.jpeg

Pieta by Michelangelo
IMG_5897.jpeg

IMG_5899.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5897.jpeg
    IMG_5897.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 1
I (well, miles from a number of projects over a 20 year period) took my wife to Rome for our 40th in 2014. Spent 10 days and could have spent a month. Saw just about everything we planned on, attended an Audience, and ate at Cardinal Dolan’s favorite restaurant. Photos can’t come close to the beauty and grandeur of St. Peter’s. Eventually we’ll get back.

Reminds me of a time when five of my drunkest friends and I got pulled out of a fountain in Rome by the carabinieri... we woke up the next morning soaking wet and unable to recall the fuzzy details. Days before, I was at the Vittoriano minding my own business when a protest broke out with the arrival of a hearse and motorcade bringing back the body of the journalist who was killed by US forces in Iraq. That freaked me the hell out, having just left that dumpster fire of a country weeks prior. Exit, stage left...

I (well, miles from a number of projects over a 20 year period) took my wife to Rome for our 40th in 2014. Spent 10 days and could have spent a month. Saw just about everything we planned on, attended an Audience, and ate at Cardinal Dolan’s favorite restaurant. Photos can’t come close to the beauty and grandeur of St. Peter’s. Eventually we’ll get back.
Nice story about the time you shared together in Rome.

Indeed Rome along with so much of Italy are over the top beautiful. The Architecture is amazing. Building are being used hundred, two hundred, five hundred years with renovations. Built to last . In the US we tear things down after 25 years and rebuild. Before I left I read where Rome was being trashed. Couldn’t proved it by me. I’m finding things really clean.

Typical street view.
IMG_5861.jpeg

Back