Rotary Table Keys

ChandlerJPerry

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I think "key" would be the correct term for these. I recently came to be the new owner of a Troyke rotary table. I'm not the most well versed with rotary tables, so I was watching a YouTube video from Quinn Dunki, aka blondihacks, about them. She mentioned that her rotary table has slots on the underside to allow the bolt up of two steel pieces to allow indexing with the mill table slots.

I checked this one, and it did as well! Deciding it sounded like a great idea to avoid having to indicate it in everytime, I decided to make a set. I used some steel I got off eBay that's allegedly 1044, I would have preferred tool steel but I don't have any on hand right now.

IMG_20241012_130822.jpg

I made the two keys as one piece, then cut the piece in half to ensure uniformity. They turned out within .001" of the desired slot dimensions on both the rotary table and the mill table, so I'm happy. They should allow easy, accurate, and repeatable rotary table setup going forward.

IMG_20241012_134910.jpgIMG_20241012_134918.jpgIMG_20241012_135026.jpg

Having keys on the bottom will make things easier, but I wouldn't trust them as being spot on. I have them on all the vises, the rotary tables, the spin indexer, the regular indexer, and several other table mounted tools. When put in place they're usually within a few thousandths, but never perfect. I always run a dial indicator across the working surfaces just to be sure. The last thing you want to do is make a time consuming or complex part only to find out it's out of spec.

Having keys on the bottom will make things easier, but I wouldn't trust them as being spot on. I have them on all the vises, the rotary tables, the spin indexer, the regular indexer, and several other table mounted tools. When put in place they're usually within a few thousandths, but never perfect. I always run a dial indicator across the working surfaces just to be sure. The last thing you want to do is make a time consuming or complex part only to find out it's out of spec.
Thank you for the tip. I have never utilized keys before, but I do have a rotary table job coming up so I will check it with an indicator to be sure.

Back