Ried 2-1 Surface Grinder - A project worth investing in?

webicons

Registered
Registered
Hello Folks - it’s been a while since I had time to tinker around the shop and looking for a winter project I came across a Ried 2-1 surface grinder (manual version). When I inquired, the owner said that he got it in an auction and that it had sat in his shed for the last 5 years. He wanted it to go to a good home and gave it to me for free. He carefully stored all the nuts,bolts,odds and ends in an organizer and the disassembled unit was carefully wrapped in moving blankets.

I picked it up yesterday and had the chance to give it a good once over this morning. It’s rough. Real rough. Ways are deeply pitted with a well defined ridge along the top. Screws don’t look awful but I’ll get a better sense after I do an initial assembly to make sure everything’s there. The saving grace is that the spindle seems good. No play and rotates fairly easily (hoping it will get better after cleaning/lubrication).

My question to y’all is should I even move ahead with this. I figure it might take about $300-500 (VFD, bearings, mag chuck, odds and ends). But I can only take it so far and I don’t have the skills nor tools to scrape.

I would like to primarily use the grinder to get into folding knives so it’s not an extreme precision application but the more it can hold, produce and reproduce the better.

Your time and insight is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2620.jpeg
    IMG_2620.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2618.jpeg
    IMG_2618.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 8
Free is a good price and unless you have immediate need for something that’ll hold tight tolerance I say why not tinker with it.

Of course I don’t own a surface grinder, and have never run one so take my word with a big grain of salt. I just enjoy bringing old machines back to useful service and if all you’re doing is knife blades I don’t see how you could go wrong with this as a project.

John

Back