Recommend me some face mills

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Im looking for a couple face mills for my bridgeport. Was thinking 2” and a larger one (for large facing not large doc). I currently have a 1.5” 3 insert end mill that works okay but it sounds hard on the machine.

I’m not dead set in sizes just looking for two sizes that will be handy for most things. I tried looking on aliexpress but I can’t find sizes and also they don’t come with the arbor. Is there different sizes of arbors?

I like this one for surfacing. It will really move some metal
It requires an R8-FMB22 shank
I also purchased one of these, which uses the same inserts, for larger surfaces.
I haven't tried it yet, but I Iove the way the inserts perform in the smaller cutter.
I would like to find a smaller cutter that uses the same SEKT inserts, I really like the way they cut and hold up.

For milling to a shoulder, I've purchased a number of these

To decode the numbers: 300R-16-C12-80L-2T
300R is the style, 16 is the cutter diameter, C12 is the shank diameter (12mm), 80L is the overall length, 2T is the number of inserts.
I just turn the shanks to the next smaller inch size. These have become my go-to for roughing, generally at .100 DOC.

I still use a fly-cutter with an inserted tool to get a fine finish.

I like this one for surfacing. It will really move some metal
It requires an R8-FMB22 shank
I also purchased one of these, which uses the same inserts, for larger surfaces.
I haven't tried it yet, but I Iove the way the inserts perform in the smaller cutter.
I would like to find a smaller cutter that uses the same SEKT inserts, I really like the way they cut and hold up.

For milling to a shoulder, I've purchased a number of these

To decode the numbers: 300R-16-C12-80L-2T
300R is the style, 16 is the cutter diameter, C12 is the shank diameter (12mm), 80L is the overall length, 2T is the number of inserts.
I just turn the shanks to the next smaller inch size. These have become my go-to for roughing, generally at .100 DOC.

I still use a fly-cutter with an inserted tool to get a fine finish.
I ordered one of each of those to try out.

Is SEKT and SEHT basically the same? Best I can tell H is just tighter tolerance on specs?

I ordered one of each of those to try out.

Is SEKT and SEHT basically the same? Best I can tell H is just tighter tolerance on specs?
Yes, the third letter is insert tolerance.

So I purchased the option with a box of inserts. I can’t figure out what they are for? Are they for steel? They don’t look ground but they are high rake(which I understand is what decreases the pressure with these). I am terrible with understanding inserts. I like it when I can see the ansi chart thing or a place like shars that tells you what it’s suited for.

So I purchased the option with a box of inserts. I can’t figure out what they are for? Are they for steel? They don’t look ground but they are high rake(which I understand is what decreases the pressure with these). I am terrible with understanding inserts. I like it when I can see the ansi chart thing or a place like shars that tells you what it’s suited for.
Most likely for steel

If you are referring to the cutter with the SEKT/SEHT inserts, they are some of the most impressive inserts I've used. I ran on the first corner of the original inserts for over a year, exclusively in steel, much of it hardened (HRc 40-42). I purchased some of the same brand/grade inserts in APKT/APMT style for the smaller cutters.

I've since found an even better grade of insert for the APKT/APMT style cutters.

I've also purchased this grade in CCMT inserts for turning. They are quite durable for a cheap economy insert.

I second David's recommendation: I bought the Haas 2" HPNP based on recommendations here. I already had 3" Glacern SEKT/SEHT and APGT/APMT facemills and while they are fine tooling, I much prefer the Haas. So much that I bought another one for aluminum inserts so I don't need to switch. Maybe the 3" facemills are borderline big for my PM833 and you are fine with the larger size on your bridgeport. Haas has them in larger sizes too.

And just for giggles I bought an FMB22 facemill of Ali for $30 with inserts and was surprised how good it was once tuned up (the R8 arbor needed some machining to fit and some individual fitting to the facemill body to minimize runout). It is no comparison to the tooling above but comes in handy if i only need some weld prep or have some sketchy steel.

Back