Rebuild quincy 325 air compressor

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I stole a quincy 325 air compressor at auction a while back.

I has a 5 Hp 3 phase motor and I want to hook it to a 1 phase 220 plugin. So, I have been shopping VFDs. This one has my interest:

Good Choice?? One question, I need an output to run a 24 volt air solenoid. This out needs to fire from startup until the compressor is up to full speed. Does this VFD have his ability? I was just going to get a Hitachi because I know it has what I need. This one is quite a bit cheaper.

FYI, this runs the unloader. This is the second time rebuilding an air compressor to run a 3 phase motor on a VFD. I learned the hard way about needing to keep the VFD unloaded till full speed. Previous thread:

PS, this is a winter project. I am asking early because this VFD is on back order.

Hi Karl,

VFD linked to should be fine, but I would recommend using it with a DC choke. Compressors still can be a difficult VFD load even with an unloader. The DC choke will decrease the THD/breaker size needed. Use a separate small universal power supply for 24VDC, not a good ideal to use the internal VFD power supply for things like relays, even with a reverse spike diode. Most switching power supplies can work off a range of input voltages like 90-260 VAC.
Mark

Back