Ready for Hurricane Helene?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone else waiting for Helene?

It's impossible to get the truth about hurricanes. One organization says this. Another says that. News stations intentionally go hysterical to scare people and jack up ratings.

We were supposed to have 39 mph winds a while ago, and of course, we did not.

Very frustrating, watching TV heads lie to us over and over. I really like it when they pretend to struggle to stand up while old ladies stroll by behind them.

Debbie sure screwed us up here.
Hopefully this goes elsewhere.........

Our house is about 4 or so miles to the gulf, as the crow flies. It's also about 1/4-1/2 mile from the mandatory evac area in Citrus County. Elevation wise, we're 40 ft above sea level. Estimates are 6 to 16 ft of storm surge. We're not there, but daughters are. Left it to them to determine if to evacuate. I guess we'll see. We left a couple weeks ago to visit family in Vietnam, a typhoon had just passed there, in the north, over 250 perished. Serious stuff. Can't say I'm not worried.

With that elevation, you shouldn't be too nervous. Wind damage is no fun, but it beats flooding. Hope things go well.

I am not far from Belleview, Florida. This morning, they were saying we would have peak winds right now, but we are getting a light breeze with occasional gusts that bounce the trees around a little. No rain to speak of, although they claim this same system will flood the mountains. Right now, the eye of Helene is around 700 miles away from the mountains.

I found out the mountains are already flooded, by a different weather system, so I don't know why they connected it to Helene. These clouds are dry, and if they're going to flood the mountains, they will have to pick up water in a hurry. They haven't done it during their time over the Gulf, and before long, they'll be over dry land.

Accuweather predicted peak winds here at around this time, but another source said more like 10 p.m. I have no idea whom to believe. It's like this every time. Wild guesses and contradictions.

Here's a great site for anyone interested in watching the storm as it does its thing: https://www.windy.com/-Hurricane-tracker/hurricanes/helene?26.701,-84.902,7,m:eudadOb

I’m north of you guys in Auburn, Alabama. Getting lots of rain but no wind as of yet

Back