Question about lathe motor mount

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Is the motor mount on this machine one that came with the machine or an aftermarket one? I've never seen one that high. It doesn't look like anything in any parts list I've seen, but there's lots of versions of this machine so I thought I'd ask. It appears to be an Atlas (note the circular name badge on the headstock).
lathe 1 yellow.PNG lathe 2 yellow.PNG

Last edited:
That's the TV version, T for Timken and V for vertical. They probably sold more TH models. Some of the cover castings are different, and it can be run closer to a wall to save on shop space. Looks like you got your work cut out for you!

Interesting. What does the H stand for, horizontal?

I haven't bought it. I might go look at it and see if I can get it cheap enough to make it worth fixing up. I really enjoyed fixing my lathe and getting it all dialed in. I actually bought 3 and used parts from all of them to make mine and one other one. I parted out the rest.

You may wish to start with a better candidate.
I took a trashed unit very similar to the one pictured, and painstakingly returned it to service at great expense of time and effort.
For all the trouble, the lathe was not worth the effort or money spent.
The ZAMAK components really turned me off. The lathe was too light to make heavy cuts. I didn’t like the flat ways. The headstock disassembly was cute. The parts were hard to find and expensive.
I would not recommend the exercise.

Initially, it looked like just a rust removal project, but on second glance, that might be a babbitt bearing- there appear to be cap bolts on the outboard bearing. I had a babbitt Atlas, there's nothing wrong with them and they run smooth, but once they wear to the point where they can no longer be adjusted, the lathe is then at the end of its service life because the effort to restore the bearings exceeds its value. If there is still a shim stack under the cap, then there's hope. Hard to say, babbitt heads were pre-war and that one has a resto paint job on it. If it did get that rusty in California's air, then it's a good indicator the lathe has sat for 40 years and the surfaces beneath the rust might be quite healthy despite the appearance. Lots of parts available, but stuff like handwheels go for extra ka-ching on ebay because they break easily. I'm on the fence. Depends on your personal needs, really. I made plenty of good tools and parts on mine, but the guy I bought it from was a retired Boeing engineer who maintained it as a working lathe so it was pretty much turn-key.

Initially, it looked like just a rust removal project, but on second glance, that might be a babbitt bearing- there appear to be cap bolts on the outboard bearing. I had a babbitt Atlas, there's nothing wrong with them and they run smooth, but once they wear to the point where they can no longer be adjusted, the lathe is then at the end of its service life because the effort to restore the bearings exceeds its value. If there is still a shim stack under the cap, then there's hope. Hard to say, babbitt heads were pre-war and that one has a resto paint job on it. If it did get that rusty in California's air, then it's a good indicator the lathe has sat for 40 years and the surfaces beneath the rust might be quite healthy despite the appearance. Lots of parts available, but stuff like handwheels go for extra ka-ching on ebay because they break easily. I'm on the fence. Depends on your personal needs, really. I made plenty of good tools and parts on mine, but the guy I bought it from was a retired Boeing engineer who maintained it as a working lathe so it was pretty much turn-key.
I thought the same thing. I've asked for photos, so we'll see. The seller said it was working but he broke the compound. I've asked for photos of that as well. This might end up being a part lathe, as there is another one for sale that's more complete. I'm not looking to make a lot of money, I just enjoyed fixing up the last ones. As long as I break even or make a little more than I paid, I'm good.

Yeah I think that is the vertical mount that they offered.

1728938736071.png

I believe that this was only offered on the Atlas 10" so pre-1960s.

You have a Craftsman, so you should be pretty familiar with what you are getting into, and the TV seems to be a less common version.

I'm pretty sure I don't want Babbit bearings. I saw a video awhile ago about replacing them and it's beyond what I want to do. Are there no other alternatives for replacing them with something better?

I'm pretty sure I don't want Babbit bearings. I saw a video awhile ago about replacing them and it's beyond what I want to do. Are there no other alternatives for replacing them with something better?

Atlas lathes offered Timkin bearings early on. I have a 1940 Atlas catalog and Timken bearings were offered on both the 6" and 10" lathes. You can tell the bearing type, as babbit bearing lathes have 4 bolts on the head, 2 on each end of the split spindle housing. Lathes with Timkin bearings don't have those bolts, the bearing housings being solid.

It is hard to tell which you have in the photos you attached.

Atlas F with Timken.jpg

Atlas with Babbit.jpg
Atlas with Babbit 2.jpg

Back