Question about inherited machines

Lago86

Registered
Registered
Hi All...If this isn't allowed, I apologize, and please remove. My dad was a machinist and after he retired, he got bored and bought a few machines. As I suspect is the same for most machinists, he kept everything in perfect condition. Some woodworking equipment also. There's also a crap ton of old tools and such that he used throughout his career. Is there any where I can get values for the equipment? Any help would be appreciated. Here is a list of all the Grizzly equipment:

Metal working:
Lathe - G1001 - comes with collet system and multiple chucks
Band saw - G1019
Benchtop Lathe - H8259
Milling Machine - RF-40

Wood working:
Planer - G1021
Shaper - G1035
Dust Collector - G1032

See if you can find someone local to help (maybe from the board). If he used the machines, he has tooling, and that can easily equal or even eclipse the value of the machines themselves.

GsT

Hello and welcome,

Sorry for your loss....

I assume you have no interest in picking up the hobby? I still have and use several machines my dad left to me and it gives me a sense of pride when I do. He didn't leave a mill or lathe but I'm happy I was able to keep what he did have.

As for value, look up new cost and 1/2 to 3/4 is pretty reasonable for well kept used equipment. For a small donation you can upgrade your membership here and list in the classified section.

Maybe check with some of his old co-workers to see if they are interested in buying as a lot since they will know what condition he would have kept them in.

Accessories are quite valuable and could easily double the value, if you don't want to piece things out a package deal might be the way to go. If you want to post pictures we can give you a better idea.

John

1.- Keep it. It was your dad's stuff, right?
2.- Not keeping it for some obscure reason? Donate it to me.
3.- Not feeling generous? Then you have to decide how much of your time you want to invest on the issue. If you are OK with getting a reasonable price for minimal work, pay someone knowledgeable to give you a detailed estimate of your inventory, and sell it as a lot with some discount. Or, you have more time than money, list every single bit of it on eBay (or here).

The G1001 is a 12x36 metal lathe, but no longer carried by Grizzly. That isn't a terrible thing but it may hurt resale a little since parts support is reduced, and involves some guessing as to what fits. You can still look at something like the Grizzly G4003 to get some idea of value.

The RF-40 is a Rong Fu mill, there are several similar from other brands, but these do seem to be popular largish bench mills.

The rest are woodworking tools, unless he converted the bandsaw to cut metal.

H8259 is a discontinued Grizzly wood lathe.
G1019 is a discontinued Grizzly 14" bandsaw
Grizzly still lists the G1021 and G1035 as available.
The G1032 is discontinued, but looks nearly identical to the G8027

Used prices are kind of tough as local variables can play a big part. Some areas have a lot of good used tools for sale, some areas very little. Anything from 25-75% can be realistic depending on condition, and local buying considerations.

Well equipped with tooling beyond the basics can add significant value, but you have to know what you've got, what came with it (missing lowers value) vs what was added and can add value.

Sorry for your loss and welcome to HM.
Try looking up those machines on eBay using the "Completed Items" filter that will tell you what they actually sold for. add 10-20% more as an initial asking price. Drop the price every couple of weeks till you start getting offers. IIt also depends on how quickly you want to sell? Auctions are another route.

Back